LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Micro-Nuggets !!! ~~~~ Post 'em if you got 'em

@JÞB wrote:

CAUTION: the attachment above is saved with "Run When Opened"=True!

(continuing my shameless plug)  My LabVIEW Tray Launcher I linked to earlier can take over and if you try to open a VI that is set to run when opened, it will prompt you to ask if you actually want to run it, or just open it without running it.

0 Kudos
Message 341 of 361
(2,847 Views)

@sebster wrote:

I use this vi that I found a while ago. Simply run this (double-click it) whenever needed.

I take no credit for it whatsoever. If it is yours, I salute you and would like to say a big thank you for it. It has got me out trouble quite a few times during development. I hope you don't mind me sharing it here.

Darren posted a nugget on this some years back if you wanted a different version.  His is also set to "run when opened = TRUE" and is password protected.

0 Kudos
Message 342 of 361
(2,823 Views)

Ctrl+T will show the connector pane terminals when you are in the Icon Editor.

Edit: if it was an obvious one for everyone, sorry, I just discovered it right now accidentally 🙂

iconeditor.png

Message 343 of 361
(2,755 Views)

@Blokk wrote:

if it was an obvious one for everyone, sorry, I just discovered it right now accidentally 🙂 

I've never once heard of anyone mention this feature.  I don't know if everyone except you and I knew about this, but it certainly isn't an obvious feature.

0 Kudos
Message 344 of 361
(2,731 Views)

Filter Search Results.  I've known about this for a bit, but noticed it is an official feature in >= 2016.

Lets say I have an typed enum and I want to find all times that there is an instance of this enum as a constant with the value of "read device".  I can create a search for the string "read device" but that will bring up all times that is used on controls, indicators, VI description, comments, etc.

Now I can type "enum constant" into the filter and only find enum constants that have the text "read device".  There's limitations in this case like it will find all enum constants with "read device" and not just one strict type, but still it narrows the search.

Filter Search.png

Message 345 of 361
(2,720 Views)

Thanks for this shortcut! This used to be on by default, and the icon editor also used to show where the wires terminated, with a small gray x. Yes, the wires actually terminate at a particular spot, and this can be useful to know when designing small icons. It should be the center of the terminal, but it's no longer shown.

(2,712 Views)

@Blokk wrote:

Ctrl+T will show the connector pane terminals when you are in the Icon Editor.

Edit: if it was an obvious one for everyone, sorry, I just discovered it right now accidentally 🙂

Is there even a menu item or button that lets you toggle this or is it actually just Ctrl+T?

To add to the list of undocumented features, if quick drop is open you can press F3 and it will center it on your main monitor.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 347 of 361
(2,675 Views)

Actually it is just in the Edit menu, but somehow I never paid attention to this part when editing icons 🙂

nothidden.png

Message 348 of 361
(2,667 Views)

Sometimes it's nice to have elements on the front panel for debugging, and then scroll them off screen to make sure the user doesn't see them. To make sure you don't forget to scroll back to the original position (or just to make it easier), you can set the origin back to 0,0 every time the VI is run. Place this VI in the block diagram and the caller will automatically go back to the origin when run. (I have not tested with multiple panes).

LabVIEW 2016

temp.PNG

Message 349 of 361
(2,335 Views)

I will take no credit for this VI but NormK uses the attached VIs in the TLB' architecture which has some additional functionality (it also works by just putting it on the BD like yours). Hopefully that saves you writing additional functionality yourself.

Also, if I remember correctly, there is no need to close panel references as they inherit from GObject and will be a non-op.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
Download All
Message 350 of 361
(2,322 Views)