cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory upgrade on PXI-8105 and PXI-8106 controllers

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I've recently upgraded the memory of three PXIs; one with a PXI-8105 controller and two with PXI-8106 controllers.  Both the 8105 and 8105 can take a maximum of 4GB (2x2GB) of DDR2-677 (PC2-5300) memory (see links below).  However, on all three systems, both the BIOS and the O/S only see 3.3GB.  Any idea why this might be the case?

I've tried flashing the BIOS (v1.4 on both PXIs), but with no success.

We're using COTS memory (i.e. not bought from NI) but I'd be hard pushed to believe that that is the cause of the problem.

Thanks.

Links;

Message 1 of 6
(3,617 Views)

Are these controllers running Windows? If so, this is normal expected behavior. I think it might have something to do with the fact that Windows reserves the rest of the memory for driver addressing (could be totally wrong there). The same thing happens on my Dell desktop PC with 4GB of memory in it.

Jarrod S.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,606 Views)

Hi,

Yes, all three are running Windows (2000 & XP), one is dual boot with RT.

OK thanks - that sounds plausible to me.  Although a bit curious why the BIOS (i.e. pre-boot) only sees 3.3GB.  In any case the memory upgrades have speeded things up.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,589 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author reevem

I am not sure about the BIOS reporting less than 4GB. Here is a blog post which better describes what I was trying to.

Jarrod S.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,581 Views)

Useful link - yes, it looks as though that must be what's going on.  We'll just have to accept the 3.23GB - it's an improvement over before.

Thanks for help.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,572 Views)
The main reason for that behavior is fire to the fact that your running a 32bit OS. A 64 bit OS would be able to utilize the additional ram, however for XP that is more than enough ram and I would imagine your system is very happy with it.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,987 Views)