LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory is full, Can't open the file now.

I think having the ability to edit the VI is crucial.  Imagine you enter a wrong PIN at an ATM.  What if the ATM eats your card, resets your balance to zero and closes your account permanently as a penalty?  Furthermore, the bank wouldn’t allow you to see your own transaction record.  Or another situation, if you key in a wrong password in Windows, it crashes and formats your HDD?

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 14
(605 Views)

Hi shanx2,

you can't compare this situation with an ATM. When the ATM eats your card you don't have a backup.

With your VI you always have your backup - or don't you?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 14
(593 Views)

Dear shanx2

Same happened to me today (LV2011 SP1). Bad bug!

Fortunately the VI could still be opened. The error popped up only when I pressed the Save or Run button.

Finally I was able to select everything in the Block Diagram and pasting into a new, blank VI. By doing so, also the Front Panel elements (except decorations) were copied, even with the proper style and placement!

I'm afraid this solution wouldn't have worked for you, as your VI crashed while opening it.

Anyway, keep your ears up & best regards

Ulrich

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 14
(386 Views)

@shanx2 wrote:

I would think so.  What if someone just type in wrong numbers?  Like 9e99 instead of 9999?  LV does not give any warning and wouldn't able to open the file anymore.  Just a typo can make LV to have a catastrophic error.

Originally I thought that LV will store the extra data on the HDD.  Although a large number, I didn't anticipate the program to use that much.  Thus, I just typed in a large number.  Like Windows or any other software, if you key in a number that exceeds the system can offer, what would happen?  Just an error message and you go back and fix it.  That's all.  Not something like you couldn't be able to open the file again... Therefore, I think this is a serious bug.

You can crash Windows by opening more windows than the GUI can handle.  That's about as catastrophic as you can get.  There has to be some user responsibility.  😉

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 14
(351 Views)