LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory is full, Can't open the file now.

I’m using LV2009SP1.  I put in a large number (something like 15 digits) for the waveform chart history length.  It started saying “memory is full” “Labview Error Code 15: could not load default data”.  I’m not able to open my file now (I have been working on it for a week).  Any solution on this?  Is there any way to open the file?  I tried to increase Windows 7 Swapping memory to 16GB and it didn’t help.

Thank you.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(3,622 Views)

Why would you want to see that number of datapoints on a screen with <3000 pixels?

You won't see them, LabVIEW has to edit the data for representation.

To get more memory available make sure you run windows 64 bit and LabVIEW 64 bit (what is the actual physical memory on your system).

What kind of data-file do you have? every format I know has the option to read partials of the file.

Ton

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(3,607 Views)

hello,

it happened to me 3 days ago as well, but it was while using the simulaiton model converter, trying to convert a simulink file (quite big) into labview... and it stopped in the middle of the traslation....

I've installed matlab 2009b, LV2009 and windows xp... 

I phoned the company and they told me that this kind of error shouldn't show up in this operation! 

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(3,596 Views)

Hey,

In my point of view it happens if your VI operation is demanding more virtual memory to finish the task.. wat is ur physical memory configuration in machine ?

some tips to avoide can be, like clear ur RAM first and don't run any other application during the VI execution.. try to stop the non critical process running behind in ur OS ..

I had same problem "Memory full"and i fixed it by killing some non critical process of OS programs runing in back and let the VI finish the task first ..

If not then reply with ur VI reading logic and input file data structure also .. may be some modification in VI logic can save memory ..

Hope that helps

HS

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(3,586 Views)

Hi,

I'm using Windows 7 64bit, LV2009 64bit.  I have 4GB of RAM.  I tried things like increasing the virtual memory, killing unused program including antivirus.  It still wouldn't open the VI.  I really don't have a need to see an extremely long data on screen, but didn't know setting a large number would cause it not be able to open.  Now I need to open the file and change the number to a smaller one, but I couldn't open it anymore.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(3,581 Views)
By the way, I wasn't even writing any file.  I just set a large number (15 digits or so) on the waveform chart history.  That caused all the problems.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(3,580 Views)

Hi shanx2,

what do you expect when you force LabVIEW to request so much memory?

Do you know any computer able to provide memory for 1e15 entries of I32 (4e6 GB) or DBL (8e6 GB) ??? That will also fail with LV64bit on Win64...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 7 of 14
(3,566 Views)

GerdW wrote: 

what do you expect when you force LabVIEW to request so much memory?

I would expect LabVIEW (and the OS) to know what it reasonably can allocate, then simply ignore the oversized request (e.g. substitute the default value), break the VI but still allow editing of the VI. 😄
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(3,562 Views)

I would think so.  What if someone just type in wrong numbers?  Like 9e99 instead of 9999?  LV does not give any warning and wouldn't able to open the file anymore.  Just a typo can make LV to have a catastrophic error.

Originally I thought that LV will store the extra data on the HDD.  Although a large number, I didn't anticipate the program to use that much.  Thus, I just typed in a large number.  Like Windows or any other software, if you key in a number that exceeds the system can offer, what would happen?  Just an error message and you go back and fix it.  That's all.  Not something like you couldn't be able to open the file again... Therefore, I think this is a serious bug.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(3,546 Views)

Hi shanx2,

so your request is related to this one idea??? (Atleast related...)

Even with typos it's your responsibility to request memory blocks of reasonable size...

@Altenbach:

I also would expect the ability to still edit the VI - but I would also like to see the ability to catch "out of memory" errors instead Smiley Wink

Message Edited by GerdW on 05-30-2010 10:35 PM
Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(3,536 Views)