LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measuring Torque versus angle

I am trying to measure torque and angle using a torque transducer that has a ttl compatible encoder.  I would like to plot the torque versus angle, but am unsure how to collect and record the information in Labview 7.1.  Can anyone help point me into the right direction on how to generate the correct code to measure and record the data from the transducer and encoder?

Thank You in advance,

Steve 
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,825 Views)
You will want to use an M-Series DAQ device.  One of the USB ones should work.  They can read encoder position.  Does the encoder have an index pulse? You will probably need a signal conditioner to read the torque output and get it to a level that the analog input could read.  What model sensor are you using?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,804 Views)

Brian,

Thank you for the quick response.  We are using Labview 7.1 with 3 SCXI modules and a M series board.  I am using a LXT 963 torque transducer from Cooper Instruments with a 1500 ppr encoder from US Digital.  Unforunately the Z indexing is not installed on this device that Cooper Instruments supplied.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,795 Views)

Hey Steve,

Sounds like you should have all the hardware you might need to build your application.  One of things we so frequently tout about LabVIEW is how easily it communicates with hardware for data acquisition and analysis, and how easy it is to setup.  The basic concept is that you'll need to create two separate tasks using the NI-DAQmx VIs.  One will be a digital input task to read the TTL and the other will be an analog input task to read the analog data.  To start out with, LabVIEW ships with multiple examples of how to set these two tasks up.  You can find them in the LabVIEW Example Finder located in your start menu.  Browse the Hardware Input and Output tab and examine the block diagrams of the VIs for digital input and analog input.  These are very well documented, but I'll be more than happy to help you with any questioins you may have.

You'll find that there are a number of ways to accomplish what you're trying to do.  Matters of timing, synchronization, triggering and so on will all come in to play as your application becomes more advanced.  To start with, look at the examples I mentioned, but there are a number of other options available to you also.  You can check out Learn LabVIEW in 3 Hours (http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/5243) if you're just starting out.  If you want to speak to one of the engineers on the phone or via email, you can purchase a support plan from us at ni.com/support.

Meantime, post any more questions or concerns you have here and we'll be happy to do everything we can!

Elijah Kerry
NI Director, Software Community
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,760 Views)