From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measure with Keithley 2000 over RS232

Hey,

ich have a problem with my Keithley 2000 by measurements over RS232.

My programm is running, its a simple serial read and write VI. I send him an command to measure and nothing is happening. I got nothing back....

I add the VI and the commands, maybe somebody knows whats wrong with my VI!

Thanks a lot

Greetings

Ralf

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 56
(10,868 Views)

I have no time to look into your code, but most likley you miss the termination char. On a string constant you can switch to \-display and then use \n or \n\r depending on the settings. You can also look into the LV drivers for the keithley 2000, they are available on ni.com and/or on keithley.com

Felix 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 56
(10,848 Views)

thanks for your help.

know i get the error: timeout expired before operation completed. whats the reason for that error?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 56
(10,841 Views)

I guess that is comming from the read. Does it return any data?

There is a VISA property node for the timeout, so you might increase it. If you use the serial port open vi (I don't heve the name correctly), there is also a timeout to specify. 

Felix 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 56
(10,831 Views)

yes its  caused from the read function...

if i increase the timeout its still not working, i think the read does not work because its not able to get data back. the question is why does the read not work?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 56
(10,829 Views)

I just took a look on some old code of mine. After writing READ\n I wait 100 ms. Then I use the Property Bytes.At.Port for the read function. Generally using some waits helps when programming RS232.

Felix 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 56
(10,819 Views)
The read does not work because the write is wrong. Your code does not send a termination character as already mentioned and you are not doing a query. Your image shows a MEAS command but you are not doing that.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 56
(10,816 Views)

im using a wait function, thats all running...

i think something with my writing is not correct....i send the command

:READ\n;

nothing is comming back, the keithley 2000 is working with SCPI commands, i tried to use them but its not working...

whats the correct syntax, maybe i messed something up....?

thanks for your help felix

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 56
(10,812 Views)
READ\n is not correct either. You HAVE to follow the syntax that is in the manual. You HAVE to send the ? like the manual shows and you have to set your string constant for '\' Code Display.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 56
(10,808 Views)

okay dennis, i know what you mean, i tried to do this, but whats the correct syntax?

*IDN?

:MEAS:VOLT:DC

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 56
(10,804 Views)