From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measure current and voltage using DMM sharing one port

Solved!
Go to solution

I want to measure the voltage at several points on a pcb, where I connect the DMMs ports to the pcb using simple plugs. The switching between the different voltages is done using muxes. So the black port of the DMM (the second from top in picture) is connected to ground to give correct volt measurement.

volt.png

And then I want to measure current through different lines. The problem arises here. Since the two measurement types share a port, how to get the correct current and voltage measurement? The second port from top would be connected to ground, so I can't use the method of measuring the voltage across the line through a resistor with known value, since then the second port should not be connected to ground. How can I use the current measurement state of the DMM? How does it measure current? Are there any practical examples of this? Tried looking through the manuals, but couldn't find any good starting points.

curr.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,163 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author livermor

so I can't use the method of measuring the voltage across the line through a resistor with known value, since then the second port should not be connected to ground.

On all of my test sets I have to mux my ground signal along with the hi side of my signals.

All my test sets mux are set up for 2-wire topology because there is no other way to do it without switching the low side also.

Omar
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,161 Views)