LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum file size in picture ring?

Hello folks!

I am planing to use a picture ring with a quite big amount of data needed.

My question: is there a maximum data size that i can embed in a picture ring (number of pictures or overall file sizes)?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,796 Views)

I couldn´t find a definition of a maximum size just this.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/00736861C29ADFB786256D120079D119

I don´t think there´s a maximum size of the pictures, propably the maximum size is limited but there´s no documentation about that.

Maybe you should try it, you can just get an error.

greetz, 

Timo

Message 2 of 7
(2,704 Views)

ok.

Thanks for you reply!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,676 Views)

The default datatype of a picture ring is U16, so the maximum number of pictures would be 2^16 = 65536. You can change that to larger sizes. Probably the other limit is that available memory for the images.

Managing the data will likely become a challenge before you run out of memory. Trying to read 64K files of images to load into the ring might take some time.

Lynn

Message 4 of 7
(2,658 Views)

Well fortunatly i don't have that many images Smiley Wink

I have "only" 400 pictures and managing them is already all work and no play!

Thanks for your reply

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,637 Views)

If you have enough memory to keep all the images open simultaneously, then something like this might help.  Put all your images in the same directory on disk and have no other files in that directory. Then use List Folder from the Advanced File palette to get an aaray of the filenames.  Feed that array to a for loop where you open all the files and place the images into the pict ring.  I have written a "slide show" program which does this. Never tried it with 400 images though.

If you do not have enough memory for all the images, then you need to manage the iamges much more carefully.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,621 Views)

ok thanks for your advise!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,598 Views)