LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max crashes after installing DAQmx device drivers

Not an April Fool's joke, except possibly on me.

I've just installed LaBVIEW 2014 on my laptop in anticipation of a new project. With the install it installed MAX v14.5, but when I looked in my LabVIEW palletts I didn't find any of the DAQmx sub-pallettes. I ran the device driver DVD install from the same release (in same shrink wrap) and now when I launch MAX it comes up, shows and error and all I get are beeps when I mouse onto the MAX screen after acknowledging the error. MAX launched and worked after the initial install. To close MAX requires running Task Manager, to remove MAX requires removing my LabVIEW 2012 as well as the 2014 install and starting over, WHICH IS A BIG PAIN, partcularly as it happened again.

error message:

The CVisaDocument::InitializeDocument plug-in caused an exception in the CmxExecutionThreadPool::DoWorkNonUI function in the MAX process.
See this file for details:
C:\ProgramData\National Instruments\MAX\Logs\MAX\98e53ab2-260b-4201-8d2d-493331c96d70\22134a13-96f9-46f0-8f60-d2c3b620eda4.dmp

A new, symptom has been discovered. I didn't realize I had a "frozen" MAX up already, clicked on MAX icon to do a screen grab of error message and MAX opened ok! The frozen version was still open, could only be closed with Task Manager, but the second copy appears to run ok. Weird!

Any suggestions?

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,934 Views)

The only time I've seen anything like that, a co-worker had installed Device Drivers with MAX open and when the MAX database (aka xml hell) changed and all the services flipped out max promptly puked.  The installer did recommend closing all ni applications.

Are you back in working order?

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,927 Views)

No, not spending any time at this point on this problem. The very short term work around appears to be "launch MAX, have it puke, leave open, launch MAX again, hope this instance works".

Argh, really wishing I had gone to "Da Islands" and opened my kiosk on the pier selling carved coconut heads to the sun-burned tourists off the cruise ships!

Putnam

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,912 Views)

you should try a repair of DAQmx configuration support for MAX (close stuff first OK?) and reboot

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,908 Views)

After painfully enduring it "repairing" 184, from one DVD, snd a bunch more  from others, and a couple of hours of not having my computer available while it chugged along, I still have the problem that the first instance of launching MAX shows an error dialog, which, when acknowledged, then shows a MAX screen that is non-functional, giving only the Windows error beep when anyting is clicked on it, and requiring Task Manager to kill. If I leave it open and launch MAX again (using the same desktop icon) I get what appears to be a functional MAX.

Going to do other stuff for now.

Putnam

Putnam

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,901 Views)