From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master/Slave with Events

Solved!
Go to solution

@jfalesi wrote:

Another question - is there an advantage to using an Event structure instead of a Case structure inside the consumer loop?

Only if you are using User Events to send your data to the consumer.  If you are using a queue, then case structure.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 18
(1,164 Views)

I guess that's what I'm wondering - should I use a queue and case structure or events and event structure?  Are there situatuions in which one would be more appropriate than the other?

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 18
(1,156 Views)

Unless you have a need to send the same message to multiple loops, events are a little more difficult.  I would just stick with the queue.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 13 of 18
(1,151 Views)

Cool, thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 18
(1,085 Views)

I have a follow-up question.  I have decided on three loops:

1) Producer loop to handle user events

2) Consumer loop to kick off a parallel "Read Buffer" loop, which needs to execute continuously until stopped by user

3) A display-update loop that is actually a slave to the "Read Buffer" loop, and is executed when "Read Buffer" detects that a value has changed from the device buffer

I decided to use notifications since all the communication is 1-to-1 except "Quit", which is 1-to-N.

I created a template vi with just the control structure so I could confirm it behaves as I expect.  Of course, it doesn't.

The first thing I realized is that every time I want to send an "execute something" notification I also have to send a "don't quit" notification.  This makes me wonder if I'm using notifications properly.

The next thing I realized is that I can't seem to quit gracefully.  First I tried putting a "Wait on Quit Notification" inside the continuous "Read Buffer" loop, (loop #2) but that doesn't work unless I'm continuously sending notifications to not quit, which defeats the purpose of spawning a parallel loop.  Putting a "Wait on Quit Notification" outside the continuous "Read Buffer" loop and wiring it into the stop sign in the loop doesn't work.  Can't figure out how to get into the loop to stop it...  This also makes me think I'm using the wrong communication paradigm.  I'd use a queue, but the consumer loop is only going to ever need to respond to two events - "start" and "stop".  Seems hardly worth creating a queue.  I don't think I can get inside the Read Buffer loop with an event... what am I missing here?

I've attached the template vi and the Display Data class I'm using to hold the data for updating the GUI (not sure if this is a good way to do it, but seemed like a good idea at the time)

Thanks,

-Jamie 

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 18
(1,067 Views)

Could you resave it for LV 2013 and reattach?  I cannot take a look at your VI since it was saved using 2014.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 18
(1,049 Views)

1. I would use a User Event to send the GUI updates to the Master Loop.  That eliminates a loop and keeps all of the GUI in a single loop.

2. I do not think you want to use Notifiers here.  Remember that Notifiers only keep the last message.  So you can miss commands if your loop gets slowed down for whatever reason.  You likely want to use a Queue instead.

3. Two Notifiers is annoying to deal with, as you have already noticed.  Instead, use a queue with the data type of a string.  Then in your consumer loop (read buffer loop), you use a case structure with the command string going to the case selector.  This will eliminate the need for two message references since you can send the Stop and the Read commands using the same queue.

4. You should not have a while loop inside of another loop.  I'm looking at your read buffer loop here.  Intead, put the reading inside of the Default case of the command case structure I mentioned in 3.  You can set the timeout of the queue to be 0 to instantly timeout and read the buffer.  Set the queue's timeout to -1 when not reading in order to sit there and wait for a command.  You need to do this so that you can monitor the message queue.  I typically keep the timeout in a shift register, making it easy for any of the commands to set it.

GCentral
Message 17 of 18
(1,041 Views)

Thanks Crossrulz, I'll mock up a template as you describe.

Vltan, here's a 2k13 version for you.

Thanks,

-Jamie

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 18
(1,019 Views)