LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mass flow controller with Labview

I do not have that firmware that my customer was using.

He is running on my work-around code and it works fine for him so I have not been involved with that project for a year or more.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 61 of 76
(2,218 Views)

Did you use the DLL call method as in the examples, or you wrote your own VISA functions? I am just curious about your workaround 🙂 I can totally understand if you cannot provide me the full driver which you developed, but at least some hints how you did it, so I can go on faster after getting the purchased hardware (I guess similarly as in the official example above, but repeating the requests as many times as necessary)? 🙂

Thanks very much! 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 62 of 76
(2,208 Views)

I elected to implement the interface  using VISA. I already had another library used for a similar device and all I had to do what adapt to the Brooks 0254 protocol... and then enhance the error checking and retry logic.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 63 of 76
(2,203 Views)

Thanks, all is clear, you helped a lot! 🙂 I am really waiting to get the MFCs and the controller to play with them.

0 Kudos
Message 64 of 76
(2,196 Views)

Dear Blokk
could you please help me?
I can not afford more than 100$ to buy another MFC or to buy suitable hardware to control the existing 1480a mass flow controller.
If there is no way for my devicenet MFC to be used, then could you please introduce me a suitable MFC model available in ebay or other online website to buy?  (price about 100$)
carrying gas: N2,

flow rate: about 1000 sccm,

hardware: a DAQ (for example NI USB 6008 DAQ)
software: Labview,
goal: to control and monitor flow rate using a mass flow controller in order to achieve and maintain 1000 sccm (using Labview)
There are some MFCs (on ebay) that date back to 1992 !!!!!!
I can not find the right MFC!!!! I have no experience and knowlege about MFCs.
Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 65 of 76
(2,134 Views)

I cannot give advice with guarantee, so if something goes wrong, do not blame me, also I am not sure the guarantee things for ebay...

One more thing before I list some POSSIBLE (but you should really find someone at your place who is familiar with these devices...a technician for example?) candidates from ebay: you forgot to include in your list the power supply! Some MFC needs powering like 24V DC. Some others need a symmetric power supply like +-15 Volts compared to the GND. Do you have usable power supplies (proper voltage, and proper power, read the manual of the MFC before you buy it!) in your lab? Keep this in mind, otherwise your MFC will NOT work!

1. Unit UFC-1200A MFC Mass Flow Controller N2 2 SLM (I could not find manual on internet, try to find one. Regarding to the photo on ebay, it is controllable by 0-5VDC, output also 0-5VDC. Requires symmetric +-15VDC power supply! 2000 sccm max flow (SLM=standard liter per minute=1000 sccm))
  2. Unit Instruments UFC-1100A Mass Flow Controller Range 5 SLM Gas N2 (same as above, but 5000 sccm max flow, also should be ok)
  3. Unit Instruments UFC-1100A Mass Flow Controller Range 1 SLM Gas N2 (same as above, 1000 sccm max flow)
  4. UNIT Mass Flow Controller UFC-1020 N2 1 SLM - Used (same as above, 1000 sccm max flow)

So I repeat, I cannot take any guarantee, but in principle the above MFCs should work with the NI USB-6008 device and a proper symmetric +-15VDC power supply. Good luck!

0 Kudos
Message 66 of 76
(2,117 Views)

certainly I will not blame you. 🙂

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unit-UFC-1200A-MFC-Mass-Flow-Controller-N2-2-SLM-/351134494671?hash=item51c1...
The price for this item is good for me. Do you guess this is a working device?

0 Kudos
Message 67 of 76
(2,098 Views)

Well, lets hope 😉

The seller has very positive rating and over 20k transactions. They say also "Condition: This item was pulled from a working environment and is guaranteed under our 14 day return policy. It is in good physical condition."

All i can say: fingers crossed 🙂

Good luck!

0 Kudos
Message 68 of 76
(2,084 Views)

By the way: do you have power supply in your lab?

0 Kudos
Message 69 of 76
(2,075 Views)

thank you
No, we have not, But providing a power supply will be ok. I can buy it and if there is no power supply then there are certain persons that their job is to build power supplies.
In the case of simple and small power supplies for example a 5 volt 2 A DC Power supply, I usually buy the elements and build it.(electrical transformer, diodes, capacitor, regulator):smileyhappy:

0 Kudos
Message 70 of 76
(2,058 Views)