cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mapping SoftMotion Velocity to move Solidworks model with real world values

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I have been playing with SoftMotion module for a while. I have few questions that I hope you can assist me in:

• In the shipping examples with LabVIEW SoftMotion, I noticed that velocity are in 1000 and acceleration are in 10000 units. Is there anyway to convert those values to real world values (m/s or rad/s)?
  • Is there any configutaion that I should perform on Solidworks model to emulate the actual speed behavior?
  • Is there any demo for using SoftMotion with Analog sensors (distance or rotation)?
  • Is there any plan to integrate PID control with SoftMotion for better controller design?

Thanks for your assisatnce in advance. 

Waleed El-Badry MSc.,MCPD, ISTQB Certified Tester
Assistant Lecturer
Mechatronics Department
Faculty of Engineering
Misr University for Science & Technology

View Waleed El-Badry's profile on LinkedIn

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,682 Views)

1. The units are configured by right-clicking on the SoftMotion Axis in the project window and selecting Properites. The Units configuration field is found on the encoder page.

2. There's a white paper at the following link where you can find general information on using SoftMotion with solid works: http://www.ni.com/white-paper/9566/en/

However, it doesn't contain specifics on configuring SolidWorks for SoftMotion. I'll have to look into this some more and get back to you.

3. What kind of sensors are you referring to? Limit and home switches? Or motor encoders?

4. There is an FPGA VI titled PID Motor Control. You can find more information about this VI at the following link: http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371093M-01/nimclvfb/controlip.pid.motorcontrol_00b20003/

-Mike

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,644 Views)

Thanks Mike for your response.

I was looking for performing PID control on simple machine in single axis. I was considering both analog sensors (linear distance or  angle). I was aiaming to tune PID with the aid of LabVIEW CDS module.

I recall reading an old white paper FAQs stated that SoftMotion sends the trajectory path to Solidworks engine and therefore it can not be used to perform PID control scenario. Also read that Softmotion supports only alerts from analog sensors not analog values itself. It was in 2011 I guess. Any updates regrading both points?

Assistant Lecturer
Mechatronics Department
Faculty of Engineering

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,611 Views)

Unfortunately, we don't have a lot of formal documentation on using SolidWorks with SoftMotion. I don't have any updates for you yet, but I was able to get access to a test machine, which I'll spend some time with during the next couple of days. Do you have any idea where that FAQ is that you mentioned?

-Mike

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,597 Views)
Thanks Mike. I played with it and integrated it easily with Arduono kit. I can share the whole project with you since the Solidworks model was free online.
Here is the link of FAQ:
http://www.ni.com/white-paper/10493/en/#h424
Assistant Lecturer
Mechatronics Department
Faculty of Engineering

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,581 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author wbadry

After speaking with someone from R&D, I've learned that SoftMotion's interaction with SolidWorks is meant for visual representation. It's not intended for real-world simulations as you're looking to use it. That said, I won't be able to give you more insight as to how to configure SolidWorks so that it represents real-world conditions.

To answer your question about analog sensors, none of our motion crads accept analog inputs. But, if the alerts you mentioned that you receive from the sensors are digital, then you could use those.

-Mike

Message 6 of 6
(2,566 Views)