LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macbook pro retina bootcamp

Solved!
Go to solution
Anyone try running LabVIEW in bootcamp on the new Macbook Pro Retina? Specifically, how does the block diagram look at full rez? Sharing of any other comments/experiences would be appreciated.,For example how do standard LV fonts look at different resolutions. Carsten Thomsen
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,609 Views)

Yes I tried it at full res on a retina macbook and then promptly turned it off.  I opened a giant diagram and immediately laughed out loud.  I could see a lot but everything was too small.  Quite a shock.  I would declare it unusable a full res.  I did find that using windows scaling to enlarge everything worked extremely well and made everything very useable.  I only got a brief time to tinker with labview.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,307 Views)

I forgot to mention I used the windows 8 preview since it was free and it worked well.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,306 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author CarstenPXI

Just got a 13 inch MacBook Pro (Early 2013 Version).

Bootcamp installed without any issues.

Windows 7 defaults with Display scaling set to "Larger" 150%, and this gives a slightly fuzzy appearance.

From my experimenting, I would suggest the following instead:

Set above setting to Default (100%).

Run the MBA screen at 1680 x 1050. This is one of the Windows 7 good settings for the MacBook Retina, and scales nicely with minimal fuzziness.  Both LabVIEW front panels and diagrams are very readable and editable at this setting.

For Pixel Perfect reproduction, you must run at either 2560 x 1600 or precisely half of this, i.e. 1280 x 800. 

If you have the eyes of an (NI) Eagle, the 2560 x 1600 is a beautiful pixel perfect screen, but stuff is small.

But, with an external 1920 x 1200 external 24 inch screen, you get a nice size diagram, but the best is with a 27 inch 2560 x 1600 external screen,which has very editable and readable LabVIEW Diagrams, and is also pixel perfect.

So my recommended LabVIEW setting for the Mac Retina machines would by 1680 x 1050 for the 13"  Laptop display (1920 x 1200 for the 15 inch laptop (although I haven't tried the 15 " with this setting)  and the 1920 x 1200 for an external 24 inch or 2560 x 1600 for an external 27 inch.

Of course, you can also add an additional external screen via Thunderbolt port # 2, also up to 27 inch / 2560 x 1600.  And if you really want to "pig out" you can throw a third HDMI screen on the HDMI port.

Happy Wiring.   

Carsten

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,207 Views)