From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS SQL Server compatibility

Has anyone used the database connectivity toolkit with MS SQL Server 2014?  All I have been able to find is the DBCT 2013 readme says that it is compatible with SQL Server 6.5 and later. This implies that any version after 6.5 will work, but I want to confirm that before I tell IT to go buy 2014 with our new server.

Jim

LV 2020
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,514 Views)

Yes teh database connectoivity toolkit is compatable -- of course that's still not saying you should use it. Check out this discussion.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,505 Views)

Latest I can actually confirm is executables using DB toolkit built under LabVIEW 2013 connecting to SQL Server 2012 - but I would be very surprised if there would be any issues working against a server running SQL 2014.  For the most part, the toolkit depends on parts of what Microsoft refers to as MDAC (Microsoft Data Access Components).  The toolkit uses ADO/ADOX (ActiveX Database Objects) as its API; below that, is an OLE DB layer (in your case, for SQL Server, it's SQLOLEDB).  It's all pretty old, mature stuff that's shipped as part of Windows core.  If SQLOLEDB suddenly doesn't work against SQL 2014, there'd be a lot more than just LabVIEW folk storming Redmond with pitchforks and torches Smiley Very Happy

Have you used the toolkit against earlier versions of SQL Server?  Are you familiar with SQL Server Management Studio?  Also, are you actually paying for SQL Server 2014 licensing?  The 'Express' versions have historically been free from Microsoft, and pretty fully-functional - the 2012 Express version limits any single database to 10Gb in size.  Not sure about 2014.

Dave

David Boyd
Sr. Test Engineer
Abbott Labs
(lapsed) Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,479 Views)

I would be stunned if there were compatibility issues, but I was just looking to get confirmation from someone who had actually used this combination.  The only thing that I will have to do with the server end is telling them which version of SQL Server I need.  Everything else is corporate IT decision and they are not even in the same state as me. I have used the DBTK before, but it was 8 years ago with LV7.1.  I had nothing to do with the server, and I had a competent IT guy to take care of that end.  Not so this time around, the local guy is clueless.  When I mentioned ODBC I got a blank stare.Smiley Frustrated

Jim

LV 2020
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,459 Views)
If that's the case, you'll certainly want to insist that you be granted sys admin rights on the SQL Server instance and get the Management Studio application installed on your own machine (you can get it as a separate download), then get comfortable with using it. It's pretty straightforward and just about indispensable for creating databases, defining tables, relationships, stored procedures etc.

Dave
David Boyd
Sr. Test Engineer
Abbott Labs
(lapsed) Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,456 Views)

I ran upon this thread while trying to solve a related issue.  I'm running LV 2013 on Windows 8 x64 computer.  Installed SQL Server 2012 Express database instance.  All is well - on the Win 8 computer.  But when trying to run the executable on a Windows 7 x64 computer I get an error on connecting to the database.  I installed the exact same SQL 2012 Express instance, attaching the original database, on the Win 7 target computer.

Error 2147467259:   "Exception occured in Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server: [DBNETLIB]. Connection Open[Connect()]. SQL Server does not exist or access denied..."

NOTE:  I am using .udl to point to the database service.  The "Test Connection" to this SQL 2012 Expr database check out fine - just get can't get LV to make it through??

I also tried with LV 2013 development on a Win 7 computer (still SQL 2012) - same probelm.

However, I'm still able to connect with SQL Server 2005 databases with the same LV / database connectivity tools.

Anyone have a solution to using the database connectivity with SQL 2012?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,307 Views)
This issue is not LV-related. The problem is either with the UDL pointing to the wrong place, or there is an authentication problem. To debug this double-click the udl file and windows will open a dialog that allows you to create and test the db connectivity.

Get it working from there and LV will be happy with it.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,298 Views)

I had the udl file talking to the database - successful "Test Connection", but couldn't get it to connect from LV via the udl.

Finally figured it out though.  The udl was located inside C:\Program Files (x86)\....  Eventhough I [attempted] to grant permission to that folder, Windows 7 x64 did not like LV trying to access the udl from there.  Windows 8 is evedently a bit more forgiving on granting access there since it worked on Win 8 computer.

Anyway, moved the udl to another directory on the C:\ - changed the path(s) within the LV application, re-compiled executable, works fine now.

Note - the database and other support files are okay in the C:\Program Files (x86)\.... , just not the udl.

Thanks the help.

Michael

Message 8 of 8
(3,283 Views)