LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAX is not seeing Labview

Hi gang, Having problems with Labview and MAX playing well together.  Installed 7.1 FDS followed by 7.1 RT.  Then applied the patches to upgrade both systems to 7.1.1.  Installed the Feb 2006 device driver kit, along with Max 4.0.3 and DAQmx 8.0 as the last step.  I can launch Labview and see version 7.1.1 on the splash screen, so it looks fine.  However, when I launch MAX to install the software on the RT processor, MAX shows version 7.1.1 is installed on RT processor (expected as the RT system has been used on other projects) but lists no information in the host pull-down for an installed version of Labview.  Thus, I can not proceed to install anything.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled Labview several times, have cleaned the registry of any reference to National Instruments and reinstalled Labview and I still have the same problem.  I have even checked the registry permissions using regedit to insure they are correct.  The computer is an older COMPAQ Presario 1.6 GHz pentium 4 with 512 MB Ram running Win XP.  Virus protection is disabled.  Anyone else have an idea or two or three to share? Thanks, Debby
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,144 Views)
Hi Debby
Do you mean, you dont get to: MAX->Remote Systems->'target'->Software->Right click
I have had problems when reinstalling and the software version differs between Traget and Host.
Also two other issues:
  1. Set Ethernet to HALF duplex, at least if you have a direct connecton between Host and Target
    http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/FD24D98FF428F21686256B64007FB6C1
  2. lvalarms.dll  have bugs, and there are(where) more than one version at ni.com
    It made timed loops and other timing related things, crash in LV RT
    some links:
    http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/8F410EFA4712541B86256DF2005A803C
    http://forums.lavag.org/lofiversion/index.php/t2189.html
    http://zone.ni.com/devzone/conceptd.nsf/webmain/2B20D544723C8F2D86256E8C0071C201#7
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,119 Views)
I have been bitten by the full vs half duplex network problem in the past, so I am aware of the solution.  It is good to refresh my memory while building this new system.  Have not yet enountered the timed loop problems, but will be reading up on your links.  My present problem is that when I right click to add/update software to the remote system, MAX indicates that Labview is not installed on the host computer.  The pull down box showing versions on the host is blank, although it does show version 7.1 is installed on the remote processor.  I do have Labview installed on the host, version 7.1.1.  With MAX believing Labview is not installed on the local machine, I can not proceed no further.  I just don't get it as I have never run into this problem on any of the other host computers I have installed the FDS and RT modules on.  Wonder if it is a Compaq problem, or perhaps a BIOS problem? Thanks for taking the time to respond and the new information to ponder.  Debby
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,108 Views)
OK... Think I got it.  For any of you all that might run into this problem, I think I have figured it out.  Previous installations were using older RT processors (8176 or 8186) and this new installation is using an 8196 RT processor.  This new processor came with a new version of the RT embedded software, version 1.3.  Once updated, everything is working together once again, and now MAX agrees that LV 7.1.1 is installed on the host computer. Apparently the FDS and RT software installations were ok, just needed the newer RT Embedded software to work with the 8196 processor I was targeting.  Live and learn.  Debby
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,098 Views)

Danger, danger Will Robinson! ( A reference to an American TV show of the 60's)  If you are using DAQmx 8.0 I highly recommend that you upgrade to 8.1. I think you may have, because MAX 4.0.3 is normally installed when 8.1 is installed, but if not you should. 8.0.x can corrupt the MAX ".nce" configuration files when you try and edit virtual channels/tasks.  Caused me a lot of head aches about a month ago on a Host/RT system that I was working on.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,088 Views)