LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAX error, niGPIBsys.dll plug-in caused an exception

Trying to connect to hardware via the local network to send ASCII strings. I can ping the static IP address successfully, but can't get anything from it in LabVIEW.

VISA resource at the moment is TCPIP0::xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx::INSTR, which I think is right.

MAX returns this error on startup:

The niGPIBsys.dll plug-in caused an exception in the CmxSysExpertManager::FinalizeExpert function in the NIMax process.
See these files for details:
C:\ProgramData\National Instruments\MAX\Logs\20130709_091257-NIMax-00001848.log
C:\ProgramData\National Instruments\MAX\Logs\20130709_091257-NIMax-00001848.dmp

Then won't make new devices.

VISA and 488 have both been reinstalled, and the nearest error I could find was number 6 here:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/6CA56E2DDBCCA06086257591006141EE?OpenDocument

... but PAE is definitely not enabled.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

(LabVIEW version 11.0 32-bit, windows 7, hardware is a Votsch Industrial Oven with static IP address)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,327 Views)

Sorry, also, the error from any basic VISA read/write I try is:

Error -1073807343 occurred at Property Node (arg 1) in VISA Configure Serial Port (Instr).vi->Advanced Serial Write and Read.vi

VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF0011) Insufficient location information or the device or resource is not present in the system.

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,326 Views)
I don't understand what you are doing. You talk about a problem with the GPIB driver, yet you say you have defined a TCP/IP resource, and then are using an example for RS232. If the instrument really has an Ethermet connection, it has to be VXI-11 compliant to be defined as an INSTR resource. Was it automatically detected in.MAX or did you just assume this resource name?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,298 Views)

Sorry, I'm confused myself.

LabVIEW communication with one instrument works when I manually entered TCPIP0::xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx::INSTR, so over the local network. It also worked when I connected it to my computer with a USB cable because the USB::<something> option came up in the drop down list of the VISA resource name panel straight away.

With the other instrument, it has both USB and ethernet sockets, I couldn't get a response using the same TCPIP format as above, even though I know the IP address (and I tried all combinations of w/ wout/ INSTR) and I could ping it. Haven't been able to plug it into anything with USB directly as I can't get a computer near it at the moment. Tried LabVIEW's VISA serial read write example programme... does that not make sense then? I got error -1073807343.

So I tried to use MAX according to tutorials and encountered the above problems. I suspect the MAX problem is seperate to my VISA connection problems. Can MAX not be used to find and configure connections both USB (is this the same as GPIB?) and TCPIP?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,295 Views)
There are significant differences between USB, RS232, GPIB, and Ethernet. While you can use VISA for all, the physical layers are not at all the same so your use of the serial example is just senseless.

As I said, the Ethernet INSTR class is for VXI-11 instruments. If you cannot detect the instrument in MAX, you would have to use a RAW connection and you might have to use the TCP/IP functions instead of VISA.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,291 Views)