From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAX does not list Devices and Interfaces in tree

Solved!
Go to solution
When I open MAX, the tree lists only Software under My System. I am trying to access Devices and Interfaces, which should be listed in the tree along with a number of other items. I have attached a screenshot of what I see. Why isn't everything listed, and how can I fix it?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(6,649 Views)

What devices are you trying to access through MAX?  Could this be that you just do not have the drivers loaded (like DAQmx or RIO)? 

Cheers, Matt

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(6,646 Views)
I'm just trying to use a loopback to test out the send/receive portions of a program I've been working on. I should at least see COM1 somewhere in the tree shouldn't I? I'm pretty much following the same procedure as in these instructions.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(6,643 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author spuleio

Spuleio,

You will not see anything if the device drivers are not installed.  Notice the button in the example that says "Open  VISA Test Panel"?  VISA is loaded with the NI device drivers.  You can find the device drivers here.  If you just want VISA, I beleive you might be able to find it here. But, in either case, NI needs a way to talk to the port, hence the need for the driver.

Cheers, Matt

Message 4 of 11
(6,637 Views)

I installed the device drivers in the link you sent and when I got back from lunch everything worked fine! I thought IT had gotten all my drivers in order when I initially got LabVIEW, but I guess not.

Thanks so much for your help!!  Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(6,611 Views)

I'm having the same problem ... "MAX does not list Devices and Interfaces in tree."

I did have NI-VISA 3.0.1 installed (this came with the Thor Labs shutter and controller I'm trying to connect to), and could not see "Devices and Interfaces" in MAX.  I then upgraded to NI-VISA 4.4.1, restarted, and still no "Devices and Interfaces." See attached image.

I'm on XP, and have admin privileges.  The Thor Labs shutter controller manual says I need both VISA and IVI, the latter of which I also installed from the Thor Lab CD.

I can communicate fine with the controller when I use the Thor Labs software, and have done the loop test with success, so the COM 1 port I'm using is definitely working.  

Please help!

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(6,408 Views)

I installed Ni-Serial 3.0 and now the "Devices and interfaces" tab appears and all COM ports as well.

Message 7 of 11
(6,370 Views)
Thanks for posting, boogsboy.  It's nice to see that your problem was solved by a downgrade and that you followed up on it.Smiley Surprised  Cheers, m
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(6,351 Views)

i've the same problem the devices and interfaces doesn't show anything, I'm using LabVIEW 2013 and I'm trying to find my Arduino uno on com 10

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(4,221 Views)

Everyone else fixed their problem by instsalling drivers.  Did you try this step?

Regardless, you should open a new thread.  This thread is 5 years old.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(4,212 Views)