LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAX: Devices & Interfaces missing in tree?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello all,

I'm a noob, and trying to learn LV.

I'm working through the book, Labview for Everyone, and I'm working through the chapter on Instrument Control.

I've opened up MAX (Measurement and Automation Explorer), and wanting to see the ports on my computer.

It says in the book, and the local help, to click on the Devices and Interfaces link in the tree on the left hand side....but I don't see that option. All I see is

My System

Software

IVI Drivers

Remote Systems

Is there something else I need to install? I've looked on the install disk and I don't see anything else?  I'm going to need to talk through USB / RS232 / serial port to communicate with a board I'll be receiving soon....

Can someone give me some pointers on what I need to do get get to Devices and Interfaces >> Ports on MAX?

I've searched through the forum here..and saw people with same problems that didn't have NI-VISA installed. I check and it appears that I do:

NI-VISA 5.0.3

NI-VISA Runtime 5.0.3

I'm running LV 2011

Thank you in advance!!

cayenne

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,348 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author cayenne

That is the wrong version of VISA for LabVIEW 2011.

NI-VISA and LabVIEW Version Compatibility for Windows

Make sure you run the Device Driver discs that came with LabVIEW 2011 after installing LV 2011.

Message 2 of 3
(2,343 Views)

@Ravens Fan wrote:

That is the wrong version of VISA for LabVIEW 2011.

NI-VISA and LabVIEW Version Compatibility for Windows

Make sure you run the Device Driver discs that came with LabVIEW 2011 after installing LV 2011.

Thank you.

I went back into my software packet...and in addition to the 2x install DVDs...I found the separate one labeled device drivers (I'd almost missed it, since it had what looked to be Chinese writing on it...and I'd assumed it was foreign language disk or something..but saw the small English title on it this time).

I installed that...and it looks like I now have the devices and drivers section I was looking for.

Thank you for the help....now...onward and learning more!!

C

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,336 Views)