cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAX 5.3.1 removed Device numbers from SCXI-1600

Solved!
Go to solution

Meas. & Auto. (MAX) 5.3.1 removed Device numbers from SCXI-1600

Old system - Works! :  Labview 9.0 on Dell laptop win XP.

I have a client that uses multiple laptops & multiple SCXI chassis with 1600 USB DAQ controller mod.  Each time a “new” 1600 was used a new SCXI chassis was installed and the new 1600 was given the next device number (Ex. Dev1, Dev2, Dev3).  I would use the DAQmx  System class Node, DevNames property to see which device I had and go from there.  (Note:  this still worked on LV ver. 11 & MAX  5.x ?)

I upgraded to LV 2012 (32 bit) fix#3 with MAX 5.3.1 and the Device number (Dev1) is now replaced with  “Mod1”!  I know I could program a workaround, but I would rather have the names go back to the old Device numbers!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,212 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tom_Brackman

Hi Tom,

Thank you for posting. I recently noticed this problem and reported it to R&D as CAR #362997. The change of SCXI-1600 default name from "Dev1" to "Mod1" seems to have been introduced in NI-DAQmx 9.4. I can't guarantee anything, but the fix is currently on track to go into the next version of NI-DAQmx (excluding patch releases).

For now, I'm afraid you'll have to work around the problem. Here are a few ways you can do that:

• Manually rename the device in MAX on each system.
  • Programmatically rename the device using the NI System Configuration API. Look at <LabVIEW>/examples/nisyscfg/Rename Aliases.vi for an example.
  • Change your application to use a different default name or to detect the device differently (e.g. using the DAQmx System >> DevNames and DAQmx Device >> ProductType properties).

Brad

---
Brad Keryan
NI R&D
Message 2 of 3
(2,202 Views)

Brad,

Thanks for the reply!

Tom

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,168 Views)