LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAX 5.0.0 does not see any NI software

I am upgrading a very old test system to a new motherboard. I am loading a hard drive from scratch since the old system used a PATA drive and the new system uses a SATA drive. Since this system has been in use for over a decade I also thought loading from scratch would be a good idea.

I load everything up in this order:

Windows XP (with updates to SP3)

MAX 5.0.0

NI-DAQmx 8.6.1

NI-VISA 5.0.3

Traditional NI-DAQ 7.4.4 (Legacy)

NI-488.2 v2.8.0

NI-845x 1.1.4

NI-XNET 1.1

NI-CAN 2.7

CANopen LabVIEW Library 1.1.3

When I am done MAX does not list any software. My hardware shows up fine. (PCI-6013, PCI-6025E, PCI-8512, PCI-GPIB)

Note: My system includes an 8 port serial card and while the ports do list under the MAX hardware section (COM3-COM10) it seems like my software can only access COM1 and COM2. If from within MAX I try "Tools" -> "NI-VISA" -> "VISA Options" nothing happens. I take this as a sign that not seeing software within MAX is at the root of my problem.

Also, the "Tools" -> "Reset Configuration Data" option is not there although it is supposed to be in MAX 5.0

As far as I can tell everything I am using is compatible. I don't have many other options since some of my software uses Traditional NI-DAQ.

What are my options?

Try something else to get MAX 5.0 working? Install MAX 5.1?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,443 Views)

Usually when you install Windows, you need to install drivers for the motherboard as well.

For Dell PCs, the required drivers start with Dell System Software and the chipset drivers.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,417 Views)

Good point - I should have mentioned that I did do that before installing any of the NI software.

BTW: Installing MAX 5.1 did fix the MAX not seeing software issue (still not sure why though) but did not help my COM port problem.

My programs that use COM1 or COM2 work fine but my programs that use COM3-COM10 do not. If I transmit data on COM3 within MAX using a test panel the data gets sent but when one of my programs sends on COM3 it does not. Really not sure what is going on.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,402 Views)