From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAX 14.0 broken and database corrupt after installing LV2014 and latest device drivers

Solved!
Go to solution

I have LV2012 and 2013 (both 32-bit) installed on my Win8.1 64-bit system and have used them without problem.  I recently went through the agony of installing LV2014 32-bit from Dev Suite 2014 DS2 and the latest device drivers from the August 2014 DVD, and now MAX (v14.0) does not work.  Firstly, it is slow to populate the System information display, secondly when I try to expand a tree I get a MAX Database Connection Error (see attached), and there is no software listed at all.  Thirdly, devices are not listed properly even though appearing in Device Manager (eg. a CAN interface no longer lists CAN0 but does show the device but no configuration, same for USB DAQ devices I(see attached), and I do have CAN 14.0 installed), and there is nothing under Data Neighborhood. 

Initial attempts to install LV2014 were prevented by the NI mDNS Responder and related services not stopping when required by the installer.  This also affected attempts to repair MAX.

All 3 versions of LabVIEW run OK, but projects no longer include remote or RIO/FPGA hardware - possibly due to uninstalled support software - but without the software list in MAX I cannot tell what is and isn't installed.

I have performed a Reset Configuration Data, repaired MAX several times, uninstalled it (any all dependencies), turned of the firewall and virus software, and completely reinstalled LV2012, LV2013, LV2014, and device drivers, but with no change to the problem.  I have now lost 2 whole days and I am getting desperate for a fix.  Surely this cannot be the only case of this in the whole world.

Mike

CLD & Alliance Member, UK

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 23
(4,469 Views)

Hi Dr.M

In order to workaround and repair your MAX problems , please see the following article (the Knowledge based article mentionned in the error):

I know you have been through a couple of these steps , but there may be some related links that could help as well.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/B9107A7F281F9B408625720B0078E5A8?OpenDocument

As for your installation errors:

This error happens when a service gets hung up in a "stopping" state that does not allow the installer or uninstaller to remove it.  This can happen with a number of different services, but it has appeared to happen mostly with the Lookout Citadel Server (lkcitadel server) and National Instruments Time Synchronization (lkTimeSync).

-To resolve the issue, open up the Services application by going to Start»Run and typing "services.msc" without the quotes.  In the window that opens, find the service that the error message references.  It will usually have a status of "Stopping." 

-Double-click on the service to open the service's properties window as seen below.

-Try clicking Stop to stop the service.  If this does not stop the service, set the service's type to Manualand restart the computer.  It is safe to set the service to Manual because it will be started manually if it needs to run.  After the restart, the service will not start automatically and you will be able to install or uninstall your software as necessary.

As for the devices not being visible have you downloaded the NI DAQmx drivers correctly(after installing LabVIEW).

Regards,

Mark 

Applications Engineer Intern
National Instruments UK and Ireland
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 23
(4,416 Views)

I have been through all relevant Knowledgebase articles and followed steps for fixing a corrupt MAX database, repairing MAX, and reinstalling MAX.  I have had to disable the interfering services and then reboot before attempting a repair because they cannot be stopped by the installer.  I could try setting them to manual but I suspect it will have the same outcome.

All new drivers were installed from the August 2014 Device Drivers DVD.  I have installed, repaired, upgraded NI software many, many times over the years and this has NEVER happened before.  Am I the only person in the world that has this problem?????

When trying to import a .nce file into MAX I got all sorts of database errors - is it because of MAX only or is it other drivers too?

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 23
(4,367 Views)

I have just repaired DAQmx 14.0 and MAX 14.0 but the MAX database fault still persists.  NI services are still an issue when repairing, although they have NEVER been an issue with all previous installations of NI software.  NI MXS and mDNS Responder services seem to be the worst.  The Knowledgebase articles have been of no help.  LV2014 seems to be OK with paletttes avaiable for DAQmx, CAN, Vision, etc.

Someone please HELP.

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 23
(4,345 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dr_M

Hi Mike,

The link below is what you will need to follow to remove the MAX Database Corruption. It is a removal tool that "automates" the database removal process. . The second document below are the steps the removal tool goes through.

MAX Database Corruption Removal Tool
https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-12805

What is the Process for Removing MAX Database Corruption
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/2C7480E856987FFF862573AE005AB0D9

I would highly recommend using the removal tool as it will do this process for you, you will just need to follow the prompts that come about through the process.

Regards

Mark

Applications Engineer Intern
National Instruments UK and Ireland
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 23
(4,307 Views)

I tried the tool that you gave the link for (had some trouble with stopping services) and also ResetNIConfig.exe, and have also restarted the NI Configuration Manager, NI Device Loader, and NI LXI Discovery Services, and now MAX seems to be doing what it should.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 23
(4,271 Views)

Hi Mike,

I'm sorry that you experienced this issue with the MAX database, but I'm glad that it seems to be resolved.

However, our R&D team is interested in discovering the root cause of the issue, if possible, so that we can prevent this in the future. Would you be able to provide the following?:

• exports of Windows event logs (the System and Application logs)
  • zip of C:\ProgramData\NationalInstruments\Installation Logs\
  • zip of C:\ProgramData\NationalInstruments\MAX\

Thank you!

Alisha P

Product Support Engineer

NI R&D

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 23
(4,229 Views)

I had a similar problem also, see http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/NI-MAX-Woes/m-p/2998531#M858967 and http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/NI-MXS-14-0-1-Error-1921-Service-NI-Configuration-Manager-mxssvr/m-p...

Installing DAQmx 14.2, http://www.ni.com/download/ni-daqmx-14.2/5046/en/ , fixed the corrupted MAX database. (Previously I just uninstalled DAQmx 14.0 to get MAX to work.)

If you still have problems, I recommend installing the latest version of DAQmx (14.2).

Cheers,

mcduff

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 23
(4,222 Views)

Event logs and NI installation logs are attached.  The zipped MAX folder is 19MB and seems too big for a message attachment.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 23
(4,185 Views)

I have split the MAX folder into two zip files.  First one is attached.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 23
(4,170 Views)