From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M/M/1 Simulation in LabView

Hi Everyone,

I am a new user of LabView and my question  is as follows:

"Is it possible to simulate a simple M/M/1 single server queuing model using LabView?"

Please guide

Faisal Iradat

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,664 Views)

Hello Faisal,

I am not familiar with the M/M/1 single server queuing model, so unfortunately I don't have an example to show you. However if you have an algorithm you should be able to code it in LabVIEW without problems. People code all sorts of models and simulations in LabVIEW everyday. As a new user there are some great resources you may want to check out. They probably won't have much in the way of developing your model, but should get you started programming in LabVIEW. I hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Chris J

Getting Started with LabVIEW 7.0/7.1
http://digital.ni.com/manuals.nsf/websearch/BF4B45DC473C89AE86256D2C0062711E

Getting Started with LabVIEW 8.0
http://digital.ni.com/manuals.nsf/websearch/07F9CD824F66237A86257046006F7C5D

Looking for technical information on LabVIEW as a software development tool?
http://www.ni.com/labview/power.htm#3

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(3,638 Views)

There should be no problem simulating the M/M/1 queuing model.  Are you just looking to calculate model statistics like average queue length, number in system, average time in queue and server utilization or do you want to run an actual simulator?

Paul

Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,633 Views)

Atached is an actual M/M/1 in use, if I remember correctly (I studied queuing theory a few years ago so my memory might not hold the test of time) a M/M/1 model is a simple server client model where items arive iat a poisson distribution and are serviced with a same distribution and both are memoryless, that is , thay are independent of the state of the system.  Attached is an example of a M/M/1 (the distribution is trandom not poisson? but close enough to get the point), you can easily convert it to an M/M/n by adding more server threads.  Hope thsi helps.

Paul

Paul Falkenstein
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(3,627 Views)

OOps here is the attachment,

Paul

Paul Falkenstein
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(3,627 Views)
Hi Paul,

This is the what I was looking for. Thanks a lot.

Secondly, does LabView provides built-in statistical functions such as Poisson Dist., Normal Dist., and so on.

Thanks once again

Faisal Iradat
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(3,618 Views)
There are a few distributions including normal distributions but I didn't use the Poisson because I don't think there is one in LV 7.0 (my current version).  There are a few options however, you can use a matlab script (assumes you have matlab and experience with it), write your own distribution function or upgrade to LV 8.0, NI has claimed that the statistical package has been greatly upgraded and looks to have many more distributions and statistical functions (I would check with them first and not take my work as fact).  If you are just looking to calculate statistics on the M/M/1 model, you will not need any fancy math just some simple functions like factorial and the exponential function.  You can then compare the model with the simulator.
Good luck,
Paul
Paul Falkenstein
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(3,605 Views)
There are a few distributions including normal distributions but I didn't use the Poisson because I don't think there is one in LV 7.0 (my current version).  There are a few options however, you can use a matlab script (assumes you have matlab and experience with it), write your own distribution function or upgrade to LV 8.0, NI has claimed that the statistical package has been greatly upgraded and looks to have many more distributions and statistical functions (I would check with them first and not take my work as fact).  If you are just looking to calculate statistics on the M/M/1 model, you will not need any fancy math just some simple functions like factorial and the exponential function.  You can then compare the model with the simulator.
Good luck,
Paul
Paul Falkenstein
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(3,605 Views)

can you help me plese to write a matlab code to create an" m/m/n" queue

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(2,929 Views)

You posted in a 11 year old thread about LabVIEW.

If you are looking for matlab help, try to post in a matlab forum. This is not it.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(2,921 Views)