From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost USB connection when restarting computer

Solved!
Go to solution

When the computer restarts, the two USB DAQ devices are not visible to LV or MAX. 

To get these devices (USB 6210 and cDAQ 9211 with USB single chassis) to register, I need to unplug and replug them. 

Is there a way to get LV to see the devices without physically breaking and making the USB connection? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,924 Views)
Is this under windows 8?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,903 Views)

My bad.

Windows 7 Professional

64 bit

LV 14

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,898 Views)

It seems this is an intermittant problem. This morning NI MAX and LV saw the devices immediately upon powering up my computer. No plugging and unplugging required. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,842 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Carmen92126

Carmen,

This is an issue that we have seen before, basically when the OS is loading, all of the hardware is detected. In some cases USB devices are detected, but the OS has not completed its driver loading process, causing a race condition. You are able to recover only when you either power cycle the USB device or unplug and plug your device.

I would read the following article that explains how to force windows to remove and redetect a USB device.  

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/1D120A90884C25AF862573A700602459

I would then create a batch file that runs each time the computer boots.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,819 Views)

Matt,

Thanks. It seems like controlling this programatically in LV will work. 

The vi I'm concerned with now is a state machine, so this System Exec VI would probably happen in the initialize state. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,789 Views)