From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locking Aspect Ratio when adding images to MS Word

Hey everyone,

Hopefully just a quick question - is there a functionality to lock aspect ratio when adding an image to word? I've included my current layout. The idea is that it takes an image, adds it to a report, adds a caption, then adds a description underneath. Ideally I'd like to lock the aspect ratio of the picture as well, but I couldn't locate it under any VIs or the ActiveX, so I probably just missed it somewhere.

Thank you,

Anthony

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(11,860 Views)

The Format Picture VI has a scale factor.  Use the desired image width (or height) divided by the actual image width (or height) and that is your scale factor.  You can't specify both the width/height and scale factor with this VI.  Check the help file.

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(11,847 Views)

I'd noticed and tested that out, however it appears that scale factor doesn't lock my aspect ratio in the word document. Also, it doesn't provide the consistency for reporting since I'm working with different sized/resolution images. You are correct that it could "lock" my scale factor while exporting the images to word, but once they're in word they're unlocked again.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(11,779 Views)

As of Word 2010 you can't restrict a user from resizing the width and/or height of a picture by dragging the side (even if lock aspect ratio is checked). The Lock aspect ratio works only in Word dialog box or if you change one dimension with ActiveX. An non-ideal alternative would be to make the document read only.

If you can't do it within Word, you will not be able to do it with ActiveX. Word is ok for creating and editing a report but not for publishing.

Ben64

Message 4 of 4
(11,766 Views)