From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locating source file NAME from the executable file?

Hi all, 

I wrote a vi a couple of year ago (call it file.vi), and created an executable out of it using the Application Builder (call it newfile.exe). I know I renamed the file

when I created the executable and now I cannot remember what I called the source file (I have hundreds in my PC, and cannot go through them one by one).

Is there anyway I can get the name of the original file from the executable? Notice that I am not asking to recreate the source file from the executable, which I understand is not possible. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,086 Views)

I just did a binary search of a recently-built LabVIEW executable looking for a string that was part of the Source VI name (but not part of the name of the executable).  Didn't find it.  So I'm tempted to say "It's not available".  I also checked the Properties of the Executable, and found (under Details) the File Description (from the Build Spec) and other info which might help.  In particular, the info in the File Description was not in the executable binary (at least not as Ascii text).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,064 Views)

It might be possible to enable VI server access on the executable (you would need to add specific lines to the EXE's INI file. Do a search) and then connect to it from LV (using the Open Application Reference primitive with the correct port number) and call the Exported VIs property. I'm not sure which VIs are included in that property, though. The top level VI might be automatically included or might not be. Read the help for the property. There is also the All VIs property, but I don't think that can be called from a remote process.

(3,047 Views)
What version of LabVIEW did you use? Do you really have hundreds of different projects? It's the project you need to open, not individual VIs. It's been a while since I looked but the project file is text. Can someone check to see if the project's build spec includes the exe name. I can't do the check myself, right now.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,043 Views)

Thanks all for the replies.

I am using LabVIEW 2011. I found a few projects and openeded them, but they don't contain the source file for this executable. 

The source code that I am looking for was derived from another VI, and I might have to repeat the work 😞

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,037 Views)
You aren't using source code control?
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,033 Views)

No, I am not using source control. Perhaps I should.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,024 Views)
No perhaps about it. It is a must. You would never had needed to ask your question if s proper system had been in place.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,012 Views)

Dennis, 

I must come clean and admit that I don't really know what source control is. Is it a back up of source codes in one place like a server? I am not a programmer but use some LabVIEW to 

automate a few simple tasks (mostly related to test data). I work solo in this area and there's not a group of people working on different pieces of the same project. 
I can Google and learn what source control is. I am assuming that the concept itself is not specific to LabVIEW, unless LabVIEW has build-in funtionality for source control

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,004 Views)

@murchak wrote:

Dennis, 

I must come clean and admit that I don't really know what source control is. Is it a back up of source codes in one place like a server? I am not a programmer but use some LabVIEW to 

automate a few simple tasks (mostly related to test data). I work solo in this area and there's not a group of people working on different pieces of the same project. 
I can Google and learn what source control is. I am assuming that the concept itself is not specific to LabVIEW, unless LabVIEW has build-in funtionality for source control

It is more like a database of files.  It keeps versions on each file so that you can revert back to a previous version if needed.  If working in a team environment, it helps to merge code and keep everybody up to date with everybody else.  But the versioning is the most important part.  I then recommend keeping the repository on a server that is regularly backed up.

For a simple SCC software, take a look at Tortoise SVN.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(2,994 Views)