cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loading Measurement Files through a SubVI

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello!

Please forgive me if I sound inexperienced or naive, I am still fairly new to LABVIEW. Hopefully this is an easy question for you experts...

I am attempting to make a subVI that loads data and sets conditions for the main VI. I have a subVI that loads 2 seperate channels from a Measurement file. I want to somehow move that data from the SubVI back to the main VI, where it will then be loaded onto an express XY graph. Should I dump it into an array or a table or what? Right now, it only sends the last value of the file being read.

I guess my question comes down to: What is the easiest way to save a stream of Dynamic Data, and then put it on an XY graph?

Thanks,

Joe

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,149 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,134 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author tidalwave62

It's hard to give you any sort of specific advice without seeing the code you have written, but there are a couple things to bear in mind:

There is a distinction between how data appears on a front panel and the datatype of the underlying data. Sometimes this difference is large. Fot example, take the case of a table indicator. On the front panel it looks like a table with row and column headers, movable dividers, scrollbars -- in short it has all the bells and whistles. However, from the block diagram, it's just a 2D string. Likewise, if you connect that table to a terminal on the connector pane, it just presents itself as a 2D string indicator and can wire to anything that can accept a 2D string input.

Second, instead of spending time worrying about the dynamic data, which is really only useful in conjunction with express VIs, which allow you get running very quickly, but are very limited. They also tend to be pretty inefficient. Better to spend your time going through the tutorials that are available and learn how to use LV better.

So post your code and we will consider it and advise you. This is a great place to learn.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,121 Views)

Thank you Mike,

Thank you for the advice! I've been going through the tutorials on different data types and looked at the documentation for the build XY graph function and realized I can use arrays and clusters, which really simplified this whole mess.  I have pretty much dropped the Dynamic Data altogether and use array functions to manipulate the data.

Again, thank you!

Joe

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,099 Views)