LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

List all palette items

Solved!
Go to solution

Having found the "UI.PlacePaletteObjOnCursor" App method (which requires a control or function name) I was expecting to find an App property which would return all of the palette item names. I might be being dumb... but I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone know how to do this?

Regards,

Steve.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(2,959 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author St3ve

As you expected, there are a couple of properties in the Application class which return the functions and the controls, but they're private, so you can't usually see them. You might wish to look at the relevant forum in the LAVA forums to find out how to get to them.

If you want the project items as well, you might wish to have a look inside the QD folder.

(2,926 Views)

Wow so I never knew about these functions.  Obviously if you know the name of the function the Place Palette Obj On Cursor works just like you would expect.  I'm guessing quick drop uses this function when you select an item.

I can also see why the "Get Control Names" and "Get Function Names" are private.  There are functions in there that are incomplete, and shouldn't be used.  That does bring up a question of what is the list Quick Drop gets?  It doesn't just give all functions because these incomplete ones aren't listed so NI must have a list of things not to include somewhere, or have a way to detect what shouldn't be included in the QD list.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(2,908 Views)

Hooovahh wrote:
There are functions in there that are incomplete, and shouldn't be used.

If you're talking about the ones that have "incomplete" in their name, that's actually the name that appears in the palettes and QD does show it, although my math is not good enough to know what an incomplete function is and I don't feel like looking it up.

(2,898 Views)

I did think those meant the functions were not complete.  But I was also refering to other functions I thought I saw that were hidden primatives but now that I'm looking through the list again I don't see them.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(2,892 Views)

Do y'all think we should move the "Get Control Names" and "Get Function Names" properties from private to public/scripting?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(2,885 Views)

@Darren wrote:

Do y'all think we should move the "Get Control Names" and "Get Function Names" properties from private to public/scripting?

Yes.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(2,870 Views)

Indeed I do Smiley Happy It seems a bit strange to have the place on cursor methods (using the palette name) and no way to programmatically get the palette names!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(2,859 Views)

Ok, I've put these two properties on our list of items to look at moving from private to public/scripting in a future LabVIEW version.

Message 9 of 10
(2,853 Views)

@tst wrote:

Hooovahh wrote:
There are functions in there that are incomplete, and shouldn't be used.

If you're talking about the ones that have "incomplete" in their name, that's actually the name that appears in the palettes and QD does show it, although my math is not good enough to know what an incomplete function is and I don't feel like looking it up.

"complete" functions are defined as definite integrals with limits of integration either zero to infinity or -infinity to +infinity.  The incomplete varieties add an extra parameter which is one of the limits of integration.  For example and incomplete function with parameter x is defined as an integral from x to infinity.

Message 10 of 10
(2,848 Views)