LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux Installation- I can't find the required install script

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm trying to follow the LabVIEW installation guide for Linux, but I am having trouble. This post will be kind of long, as I will try to tell you everything I have done so far. I'm also kind of new to Linux, so I'm sure there are many things I don't know.

I'm trying to use http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/374718a.html#installing

and http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/375845d.pdf

Step one from the guide is to insert the "installation media" and run

#sh ./INSTALL

and that's easy enough. Or at least it would be if I had any idea where this sh file is. I requested a copy of the install disks from my university (I'm installing on one of their computers), and they said that while they don't have any Linux install disks, they were pretty sure "it is on there somewhere," whatever that means. That seems to be about the extent of their knowledge regarding linux.

On this disk is a folder named slcp10 with contents slcp10.cab, slcp10.mis, and slcp200_mft.cab, all of which are windows files and as far as I can tell impossible to run on linux unless I'm using WINE, which is clearly not the way to go.

I also have a few ISOs from the site licensing department, but likewise no one seems to know anything about installing on linux. After mounting these ISOs I see that they contain the folders Bin, Common, Distributions, Licenses, and Readme (which is full of all kinds of irrelevant stuff). They also contain the files academicsitelicense.html, asladminresource.html, autorun.exe, autorun.inf, nisuite.xml, patents.txt, readme_core.html, setup.ede, and suite_md5_1.xml, none of which seem promising. Again, I only know how to install .exe files using WINE.

I've since turned to the internet to try and download it from NI directly, and have gone to http://www.ni.com/download-labview/ and selected "Already own LabVIEW? Download the latest version." From there I select the dropdown for alternative OS, and select the MAC OSX option as I read somewhere on the NI help pages that this would work on a linux machine (which makes sense to me, as MAC is UNIX-based, right?). Well, that gives me a dmg file (apparently some sort of mac file?) which I found a way to use on linux by extracting it in 7zip and then mounting the hfs file. This still seems to be some sort of evaluation program, as it contains LabVIEW2014Evaluation.pkg, readme.html (which takes me to the OSX install readme-useless), installation_guide.pdf (again, solely for MAC and useless to me), drivers.webloc, and the folders Extras and Licenses.

I'm at wit's end, man. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. I've never had so much trouble installing a program before in my life, because technically I haven't even started the installation process yet, and I'm already about to defenestrate my computer. Please help me. I don't know what else to do, and I'm sure there is a very simple solution that I'm too ignorant to see.

At our other lab we run windows, and installing is cake. After learning Linux over the past few months, I never thought I'd say this, but I actually wish I had a windows machine right now.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,828 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author barriboy

Well, I managed to get it installed, but only because I found another ISO from the site licensing department that had linux install files. Oddly enough, this single ISO is a scant 3 Gb while there are three other ISOs that each come in at 7.5 Gb. Are there really that many missing packages in Linux?

Sorry if anyone reading this has similar issues, but the best I can do is say find the Linux install disk.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,814 Views)