From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linking a Vision Builder VI to a LabView VI

Dear all,

I have created a tool in LabView developped in Vision Builder AI. I have also a VI to enable me to have an Image from a camera connected to my computer. Basically, I am trying, to get the Image from the camera being analysed by the tool I developped in VBAI. Does anyone have the knowledge to link the two attached VI's so that I can use as one, and enable a analysis of the Image.

Hope this is clear, and will appriecate any help

Thanks for your responses

Xavier

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,623 Views)

Hi Xavier,

Thanks for posting the issue to the forums. I wanted to ask you some further questions regarding the issue you are seeing.

- What version of LabVIEW are you using? Do you have Vision Assistant aswell as VBAI?

- You have created a tool in VBAI (and subsequently generated the LabVIEW code) and you now want to run another LabVIEW VI with it? Is that correct? Or are you trying to add the functionality of the LabVIEW VI to the VBAI tool?

From what I understand the VBAI tool is the program that acquires the image and then the LabVIEW VI is what processes the image, is that correct? Or is it the other way around?

- How are you acquiring the images for processing? What type of camera do you have? A USB type connected to your computer?

I have found some relevant links that will be worth taking a look at in the mean while:

Why do I get an Error when Calling a VI in VBAI?

How to Create a Custom User Interface in Vision Builder AI Using the Run LabVIEW VI Step

Configuring Inputs/Outputs in Vision Builder for AI and Migrating Inspection to LabVIEW

If you could explain in further detail what exactly it is you are trying that would be appreciated.

Regards,

Dom C
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,594 Views)

I would also recommend you check out the API for VBAI. This is a set of LabVIEW VIs that allows you to control VBAI programatically to load inspections, run the inspecations, and get the image and results from steps into LabVIEW where you can use these with your other LV code. Check out the shipping LabVIEW example that demonstrates this under your Vision Builder AI folder in API Examples/LabVIEW. This might be easier than trying to generate the LabVIEW code from VBAI, and it has several other advantages as well:

- makes it easy to modify your inspection in VBAI and then you don't have to worry about regenerating the LV code.

- you can easily control multiple inspection and determine when they run and get results and images using easy to use VIs instead of the complex code generated.

- you can have multiple VBAI engines running if you want inspections to run in parallel or even control a VBAI engine running on a remote target.

Here's a link that might be helpful that illustrates the use of the API:

http://zone.ni.com/wv/app/doc/p/id/wv-2424

Hope this helps,

Brad

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,581 Views)

Dear Dominic,

I would be glad to give further information.

I have LabView 2012, to start with. And I do have vision assistant as well as Vision Builder, but I would rather be able to convert the tool proparely from vision builder, because this tool wasn't developped by me, and even so it doesn't seem very complex, there are functions in it, that are not available in Vision Assistant.

I am afraid it s the other way round. My Labview Vi is my principle one, acquiring the image from the camera (thermal camera), and I wanted to use the vision builder converted tool, to be able to analyse the image that I get  from the camera. I have the Image from the camera, the Vi is fine, but now, I would like to know how to link these two tools.

By the way, if this can help, I have noticed that when I converted the tool on labview from vision Builder, it didn't allow me, it said that Vision builder acquired Labview 2011or above (which I have) and VDM, which I have but I wonder if all it's features are properaly installed...

Finally, the camera is linked to the computer by ethernet connection.

To conclude, I would like to analyse the picture by beeing able to work with pixel, being able to detect objects, or other similar issues I could have using a thermal camera on different metals being put in a furnace at very high temperatures. 🙂

Thanks for your help, anything would be appreciated

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,573 Views)

Dear Brad, I haven't checked yet, so I'm not entirely sure if this is what I was looking for, but it definitely sounds promising. I'll let you know about it.

Thank you very much for your help 🙂

Kind regards

Xavier

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,570 Views)

Hi Xavier,

I hope you are well.

Thank you for your detailed explanation of the issue you are having.

I understand that you are trying to call the VBAI tool in the main LabVIEW VI. 

As Brad mentioned, you will most likely need to use the VBAI API within LabVIEW to call specific inspection routines. This can be done with the low level functions.

I have found some useful links for you to look at:

Multiple Smart Camera Inspections .NET VBAI/API Example

Calling VBAI through ActiveX in LabVIEW- choosing inspection to run

Calling VBAI through ActiveX in VB2010

When LabVIEW calls a VBAI Inspection that Includes a Step which Calls a LabVIEW VI, this VI Must Be ...

I hope this helps!

Kind Regards,

Dom C
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,554 Views)

Hello,

I am working with VBAI API in LabVIEW (Version 2013). But Continuously getting an error:  

Error -354703 occurred at VBAI Interface - Open Connection.vi

Possible reason(s):

Vision Builder AI: (Hex 0xFFFA9671) Critical components of Vision Builder AI are missing or not installed.

I am using this VBAI API for the first time, don't know what causing this error to occur. 

Is there any documentation available for these APIs? 

Here, is the attached screenshot.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,224 Views)

Is your question related to the 4 year old thread asking about how to link Vision Builder VIs to LabVIEW?  If not you will find more help by creating a new thread.  That being said you probably just need to reinstall Vision Builder AI or IMAQ components.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,212 Views)

Hello,

Thanks for the solution. Actually, We have given a solution to one of our customer completely in Vision Builder 2013. It's almost 4 years back. Now, I have started working on it & Its developed by our former developer. Am pretty new to VBAI, but I have solved this problem by reinstalling vision development module and was able to execute given VBAI example in LabVIEW.

So any suggestion or tips to become efficient in VBAI are most welcome from the community.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,208 Views)

Glad to hear it works now after reinstalling

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,195 Views)