LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Launching Actor From Tools Menu

Solved!
Go to solution

I have written a configuration tool(lets call it application ABC for simplicity) within the actor framework for a very large API.  Application ABC was designed/intended to be launched from the Tools Menu in LabVIEW.  For development I ran application ABC directly using a development style "splash screen" that I would run from the project that owned the source code.  My development splash screen has a crude pop-up that allows you to select the VI that you want application ABC to act like it was launched from.  As part of the final stage of development I wrote a VI that uses the App.MenuLaunchApp and AppMenuLaunchVI properties to retrieve the VI to configure.

Here is where the trouble started.  Application ABC runs well and closes as expected with no sort of odd behavior while closing when run using the development splash screen.  When launched from the Tools menu application ABC acts normally and allows me to run all of the methods/msgs for the actors without any hints of trouble.  Closing application ABC LabVIEW crashes whenever the launch originated from the Tools Menu.  This is very consistent.  

My guess as of right now is that it has something to with the actor framework running in a private application context (LV.Dialog).  I am assuming that LV.Dialog is making assumptions that I am breaking.

I haven't tried a simplfied example yet; but I am interested to know if anybody else has tried something like this....  Is the AF Message Maker in the actor framework?

LV2012SP1

My customer won't let me share the code.

I attached the debug output in case that interests anybody.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,692 Views)

Hi PBD_ctrl,

In looking through your crash log, it seems the program threw the exception 0xC0000025 before it closed.

It looks like it is crashing because two Exit LabVIEW commands are being sent so the second one throws an error. I believe this happens when you open it from the tools menu it may load it in a LabVIEW wrapper that sends the Exit LabVIEW command along with your API causing this condition.

Can you try recompiling your code and then running it again?

Justin M.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,606 Views)
Solution
Accepted by PBD_ctrl

I was able to work around this error...

First I made a simple example and found that I couldn't recreate the problem(no surprise).  I then started building up the simple example until I realized that I needed to have the actor open up it's own referance to the parent VI(the VI that's tool menu was used) and not use a referance opened by the splash screen.  Even if the referance to the parent VI ref was valid for the actor to use while running it would crash LabVIEW upon closing.  I added the VI name and application service name to the class data of the actor and then used pre-launch init to call a method that would open the parent VI ref.  I should also not that enquing the open parent VI ref method from the splash screen still results in a LabVIEW crash upon closing the actor.

Fun stuff...

If anybody wants to chip in as to why this is occuring I would be glad to learn more.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,587 Views)

Thank you, M0535 for responding.  Based on what I found for a solution do you think the actor is opening in LV.Dialog or opening a new context?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,586 Views)

Hi PBD_ctrl

I am looking into it, talking with other engineers, and will get back with what I find.

Justin M.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,520 Views)