LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Launch a VI from Windows Explorer with front panel closed

I have a VI that will be launched from the Start>>Programs menu or Windoze Explorer. I'd like the VI to make a decision or two before it opens its own front panel or the front panel of another VI. I can do it with VI Server but the VI panel flickers open for an instant before disappearing. Is it possible or will I have to do some splash screen gymnastics?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,404 Views)
How about sizing the window to 0x0 pixels and passing in the option using a call by reference node.  If you want to see it you size the window to a viewable size otherwise it will stay as 0 pixel.  This is really off the wall!!!  Hope this helps.

BJD1613

Lead Test Tools Development Engineer

Philips Respironics

Certified LV Architect / Instructor
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,397 Views)
I think your best bet would be to move the VI completely off screen (using property nodes from another VI if you have to), then do a Save. The VI should "remember" the position it was in when last saved and open it's front panel at that position. You can then do your checks and move the panel on screen or leave it hidden.

The VI can't do anything to itself until it's open and running, that's why the panel flickers on.

I haven't tried this, but it seems it should work.

Ed

Ed Dickens - Certified LabVIEW Architect - DISTek Integration, Inc. - NI Certified Alliance Partner
Using the Abort button to stop your VI is like using a tree to stop your car. It works, but there may be consequences.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,373 Views)

Its nice to have some curveballs thrown at us every once in a while. 🙂  Really the solution is going to depend on how creative you are.  If you are looking for performance probably Ed's answer is better.

BJD1613

Lead Test Tools Development Engineer

Philips Respironics

Certified LV Architect / Instructor
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,373 Views)
Call me conservative, but given potential for weirdities and problems with other people's computers (what's off screen on yours might not be on someone else's), the safeist solution is the splash screen. It's even pretty easy to create--just a few VI server calls to open and launch the first VI and you're on your way. Be sure to "open" the VI's front panel as hidden. Then the VI can decide for itself whether to stay hidden or make itself visible.

Plus, I've always found that my users like splash screens because it gives them immediate feedback that the program is really doing something. They are also a great place to put a status line to keep the operator posted as to what's going on, and they can make the application seem more "professional".

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,355 Views)