From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laser diode

I've a LabVIEW program written in order to generate a single pulse, based on the input values. I want to attach a laser diode (ITC 4005, Thorlabs) to the program and run it so that the shape of the pulse generated from the diode can be modified as per the program. So far, I've only managed to use an in-built example for the ITC 4000 series to control the laser diode (it goes into Remote mode). However, I want to connect the instrument to the program written previosuly so that the pulse shape can be manipulated when I run it. I also haven't been able to find a device driver on National Instruments page for the laser diode. I am relatively new to LabVIEW and would appreciate all the help possible. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,664 Views)

Hi there,

Which in-built ITC 4000 example are you referring to? How does your laser diode communicate with the PC (Serial, GPIB, etc)?

Daniel C.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,597 Views)

If it were me, I would use an Arbitrary Waveform Generator (Agilent 33220A for example) to generate your pulse.  There are probably some decent examples on this forum on creating different pulse shapes for it already.  Then, I would feed the output of the generator into the Modulation Input on the current source.  I use both ILX and Thor Labs current sources, but currently have a Thor Labs ITC502 on my desk and it has a Mod In bnc on the front panel.  I can't speak for other models since they aren't right in front of me.

If you need more indepth help, I have some VI's for the 33220A I could share with you, and from my experience, there are drivers for ILX and Thor Labs current sources.  Some of the Thor Labs stuff requires a separate installation that contains DLL's and such, so I typically just write my own using their host interface spec in the user manual.

Bruce K

Not as smart as many other peepz on here....
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,559 Views)

The example is an installed instrument driver named TL4000 series example. I have found out that NI doesn't have a specific driver for ITC 4005. The instrument is connected to the computer via a USB cable.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,498 Views)

Thank you for the answer. However, I am required to use the ITC 4005 for the experiment.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,493 Views)

A 30 second check of the Thorlabs web site indicates that they have a LabVIEW driver for that instrument.  I suggest you download that.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,485 Views)

I have downloaded it and it contains the TL4000 Series Example I was referring to before. The example code is able to detect the device and cause a change in the temperature/current it produces. I want to understand how I could include the said device in another LabVIEW code I have written. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,477 Views)

That driver was over 300 MB so I am not going to download it to see how it is set up. If it is well written, it should be fairly easy to use as subVIs to your main program. You need to determine which of the VIs in the driver are relevant to what you want to do or what commands you need to provide to the driver.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,470 Views)

I am looking into it and using the open palette to add to the written code to initialize the instrument, write to it, etc. I hopeI am able to make it work.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,467 Views)