LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large(ish) Remote Panel Applications?

I'm just wondering if anyone has had any luck developing Medium to Large scale remote panel applications and would be willing to share their experiences.

I ask because I'm in the process of developing an application that I intend to be deployed remotely, and have already run in to two major bugs (that got sent to NI R&D) requiring workarounds, and one plugin (the LAVA GUI plugin) that just causes LabVIEW on the client computer to hard crash... and I'm 30% done with the application.  At this point in time, I am seriously considering bailing on the remote panels and trying to come up with an alternate way to deploy the app. 

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,613 Views)
First, a question. What are the system constraints? What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Mike..

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,597 Views)

@mikeporter wrote:
First, a question. What are the system constraints? What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Mike..

Without going in to needless detail... the constraint is that I need remote access to the application.  The computer attached to the hardware will be in a different physical location than the operator running the program.

Yes, there are a lot of other solutions I can explore (TCP/IP communication, remote desktop applications like RAdmin, etc), but the path I chose to pursue initially was Remote Panels because it seemed the simplest to implement, while solving several other problems - such as preventing the users from ever having direct access to the data they acquire.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,587 Views)

You could access the remote application via VI Server. This is a little higher level access than TCP/IP and wouldn't constrain your interface to what you happen to have running on the remote computer.

This may be just me, but I don't think I would want to be running to a remote location because the GUI for my local system needed to change.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,575 Views)

Thanks for the advice. I have considered several options. The application is already using VI server (not web based) being run from a remote location. It still has errors - which brings me back to my original question:

Does anyone have experience with this that they would like to share?

@mikeporter wrote:

This may be just me, but I don't think I would want to be running to a remote location because the GUI for my local system needed to change.

Mike...

Edit:  Clarify that a little if you could?  I'm running remotely because the computer and hardware are at a remote location...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,564 Views)