LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop Freezes upon returning from standby when NI-VISA is installed

My Windows XP SP3 laptop was working fine with Labview 2010 installed.  Upon installing NI-VISA 5.0.0 or 5.1.1, the computer generally works fine, but upon returning from Standby, the computer freezes.  (After a few seconds, the screen freezes, and the computer is unresponsive unless I force it to turn off.)  

Uninstalling Labview entirely fixes the problem, and reinstalling just Labview does not make it return, but after reinstalling the NI-VISA, the error returns.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Greg

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,656 Views)

Hi iggieraver,

Do you leave your laptop running a program which uses VISA calls which then goes to sleep? Is there anything VISA-related running in the background prior to sleeping?

Aldo A
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,626 Views)

I don't believe so. (However, how would I make sure of that?) This error occurs regardless of whether or not I start up Labview. Is there a possibility that something VISA-related could be running and I don't know it?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,620 Views)

Hi Greg, 

thanks for replying. One quick check you can do is to disable your com ports via the Device Manager. So if anything is using VISA, it won't be able to communicate and hopefully helps us isolate the error. Let me know if your computer continues to freeze after installing VISA, disabling the ports, and coming back from sleep.

Aldo A
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,563 Views)

I disabled the com port, and still the same.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,538 Views)

Thank you for your reply,

Lets do a couple of steps now:

1) Are you on a desktop or laptop?

2) Can you disconnect all USB devices on your computer and re-create the issue?

3) If the issue persists, can you post the log of your computer's Event Viewer (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427) when the computer seems to freeze?

Thanks!

Aldo A
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,532 Views)