LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview

Dear Team

We have get a Test Rig with Labview

We are unable to open Labview via (Start - Programs-National Instruments-Labview8.0-Labview) due to message Problem with Shortcut :The drive or network connection that the shortcut 'Labview.lnk' refers to is unavailable. Make sure that disk is properly inserted or the network resorce is available & then try again

Also when we click on "Licnese Manager", it does not get opened up due to Program error

Please let us know if we are not able to open up Labview bacause license is an issue

We found Labview (under D-Program Files - Labview) so we are sure that Labview is installed in D, moreover National Instrument software is seen under Add/Remove Programs under Control Panel

Warm Regards

Rishi

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,783 Views)

Since most Windows system have Program Files on C:, it may be that your LabVIEW files have been "copied" to their new location in D:\Program Files, and thus "disconnected" from their shortcuts.  You don't provide much information for us -- I'm guessing you are running on Windows XP (as Windows 7 would probably have the files in Program Files (x86)).  

With such a problematic installation, I'd say your best bet would be to use Add/Remove Programs to remove all National Instrument Software (it will probably fail to find the files, as well).  If the removal works, you then have a "clean" system to reinstall the software from your distribution kit, using your existing License number.  If it fails, I don't know of a clean solution -- you could try removing all of the LabVIEW-related files and folders and manually "scrubbing the registry" of LabVIEW and National Instrument entries (I've done this, but it is not easy), or you can take the safer, surer, but "more drastic" step of reformatting your hard drives and reinstalling the Operating System and other software (in other words, a complete rebuilding of your system).  Probably a cheaper solution is to purchase a new PC ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,758 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

- I'm guessing you are running on Windows XP (as Windows 7 would probably have the files in Program Files (x86)).  

Bob, this is not a function of windows version, but of windows bitness. The "Program Files (x86)" is for all 32bit program in 64bit windows (even the rare XP 64bit ;)), while "Program Files" is for programs in the native bitness of the OS (even for 32bit program under windows 10 32bit. Yes that still exists ;)).

And yes, I agree that somebody must have carelessly moved that folder.

RishiM wrote:

We are unable to open Labview via (Start - Programs-National Instruments-Labview8.0-Labview) due to message Problem with Shortcut :The drive or network connection that the shortcut 'Labview.lnk' refers to is unavailable.

We found Labview (under D-Program Files - Labview) so we are sure that Labview is installed in D, moreover National Instrument software is seen under Add/Remove Programs under Control Panel 

If would help if you could tell us where the shortcut actually points to. Right-click it and look under properties. If you know where LabVIEW.exe actually is, you could try pointing the shortcut to the real location. No guarantees, though.

If you "found" the files under D-program files ..., it just means that the files are there. It does not mean that it is properly installed. Try repairing the installation.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,719 Views)

Altenbach,

You are right, of course, and I am being "lazy".  In my (limited) experience, most XP systems were 32-bit (as there were initially few 64-bit apps, in particular LabVIEW 64-bit was "barely there"), while by the time Windows 7 came around, the majority of installations were 64-bit (to take advantage of the more mature hardware and better "thunking" software from Microsoft).  

BS

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,687 Views)