This widget could not be displayed.

From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview work with camera

Solved!
Go to solution

You have not provided any information about your requirements, so it's hard to help you.

In any case, I am partial to GigE cameras. Pretty easy to interface with LabVIEW and can be located at long distances from computer.

Marc Dubois
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(5,060 Views)

Hi Marc,

the requirements are the following:

1. Frame pro secend: 60 or bigger.

2. Resolution: 720p or 1080p.

All the products, which I have listed, can meet the requirments. But I am not sure, if these camera can work with Labview. I have read the literature from the NI website, that the camera should be the DirectShow imaging device.

Best regards

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(5,056 Views)

What kind of interface (Firewire, CameraLink, USB, Analog, GigE)? Do you need the camera to be close by a computer or you need a long wire, or wireless? What acquisition rate do you need for your LabVIEW application? Think about the requirements of your application, not the requirements of the camera. All those parameters (and more probably) will impact your camera requirements.

Marc Dubois
Message 4 of 13
(5,052 Views)

My understanding of action cameras is that they save data onto flash drive and do not transfer full data to the PC. It seems only first one has full video out capability, but you need separate framegrabber to capture it.

Message 5 of 13
(5,020 Views)

Hi,

I want to use the USB interface, can these camera meet this requirement?

Best regard

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(5,018 Views)

Hi,

what do you mean by the framegrabber?

Best regard.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(5,015 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author TUDarmstadtLLX

Pretty much any camera could work with LabVIEW. It might need a framegrabber (digitizer of images) or not. If you select a USB, firewire, or GigE, among others, you can probably acquire directly without a framegrabber. You would need the Vision toolkit though.

Marc Dubois
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(5,002 Views)

I've also had good luck with Axis cameras.  They have a nice ActiveX based SDK that will work with all of their cameras that supports streaming, PTZ functions, writing to disk, etc.

Message 9 of 13
(4,998 Views)

Most USB WebCams should work with LabVIEW (we've had success with cameras from Microsoft and Logitech, among others).  IMAQdx supports TCP/IP cameras from Axis and Basler, among others, though if you are trying to "see" the cameras on a non-local subnet, there are some undocumented "tricks".

Note that the Vision Toolkit and IMAQdx require an additional license, both for Development and Deployment (you get one "Deploy" license with the Toolkit, but if you want your code to run on a different PC, you'll need a second license).

Bob Schor

Message 10 of 13
(4,988 Views)