LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview with FTDI D2XX drivers?

@spaceman_spif wrote:

This thread has been a treasure trove of good info.  I have also been wrestling with communication with an FTDI chipset.  I'm using a VCP and my program communicates just fine with VISA drivers, but when communication is unexpectedly interrupted (loss of power to unit under test or someone accidentally unplugs the USB communication cable) and I try to restart any communication, neither Windows 7 nor Labview (2010) will see the VCP anymore.  Sometimes it takes multiple reboots of both the PC and the FTDI device under test before I can finally see the VCP again.  And by saying I don't see the VCP anymore I'm also referring to looking for it in Windows Device Manager as well as LV.  This doesn't happen every time, but often enough to be a nuisance.  Anyone else have that problem with enumeration?

I have had the same issue with the Virtual COM Port handling in Windows 7. The best (ie. reliable) solution I have found is to go back to the D2XX drivers and DLL calls unfortunately.

0 Kudos
Message 61 of 84
(4,271 Views)

Can i do many command send one by one (write and read opration) without chipe ftdi D2xx close. 

0 Kudos
Message 62 of 84
(4,144 Views)

Please consider using this free toolkit:

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/212767

Thank you,
Khachik Sahakyan | CLA
Message 63 of 84
(3,813 Views)

Is there any update on the issue?

I have got a problem with my FTDI FT2232H mini modules running in 245 FIFO asynchronous mode under 2014 Labview 64-bit version.

Problem description:

Two modules do not run simultaneously. Two of four separate device channels have the identical handle or 0 handle when I try to open the devices via Open Device By Description command. The modules work fine when they are alone.

See ZIP attached.

I do not have such problem in the following versions:

2013 Labview, 32-bit

2014 Labview, 32-bit

2009 Labview, 64 or 32 bit.

I can not use 32-bit versions at all due to memory issues and I can not use 2009 version anymore because of new requirements.

The test has been performed on the same hardware and software:

DELL Studio XPS 9100, 24 GB of RAM, Intel i7

FTDI drivers: D2XX, 2.12.00

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 64 of 84
(3,641 Views)

I managed to get the code working in the Labview 2012 64-bit.

It looks like some special sequence is required to simultaneously open both FTDI modules.

Please, find screenshots attached.

The same code still does not work in Labview 2014 64-bit.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 65 of 84
(3,600 Views)

For thos who are looking for the LABview driver I2C please see here:

https://lavag.org/files/file/282-mpssedll-labview-driver/

the version for SPI is comming soon

🙂

Message 66 of 84
(3,321 Views)

Hi:

I try add the DLL driver when build the 2013 labview project.

see attached file.

but it seem did not install correctly.

can anyone help me how to install correctly?

Thanks

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 67 of 84
(2,354 Views)

Hi:

Please help me. I have add FTDI.dll to the labview project.

I select tool -> import->point to ftdl2.dll and head file. 

Is this the right procedure to add dll?

please let me know your steps.

it add to the project.

It have error when build the project, it said vi had error. missed terminal(I think due to not see dll file)

but when I run the vi in my pc. it seem fine.

I attached my files. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 68 of 84
(2,344 Views)

Hi,

The more challenging way to use the D2XX drivers in LabVIEW is to add a Call Library Function Node, point to the i386\FTD2XX.dll driver, select the function, and configure the function prototype parameters.  I would not advise doing this, since this has already been provided by FTDI.

If you go to the link below, under the D2XX Function archive section, there is a link to download the D2XX function library for LabVIEW 7.0 and later. 

http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/SoftwareExamples/CodeExamples/LabVIEW.htm

You will also need to have the WHQL Certified VCP/D2XX package downloaded. In the link below, there is a table for different operating systems.  I assume you are using Windows, so select either 32 bit or 64 bit and download the package (it is currently labeled "2.12.28").

Then when you open the LabVIEW code examples, you probably will need to browse to the i386\FTD2XX.dll driver in the VCP/D2XX package to make the VIs work.

But using this should make it easier than trying to create all of the functions yourself.

I hope this helps,

Gary

Message 69 of 84
(2,334 Views)

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 70 of 84
(2,322 Views)