LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview stops opening menus and windows

(back from a break...)

Thank you for your suggestion with Labview issue 369142. This sheds some light but does not solve my issue.

1) I verified that, when Labview has stopped opening new menus/windows and I minimise *all* open Labview windows it resets and it regains the ability to open menus/winows again within the running session (but I need to minimise all windows, only then this resets) - so like stated in the description for Labview issue 369142, minimising the windows helps

2) Labview then stops again being able to open new menus/windows once I un-minimise 3 of the minimised Labview windows, although I can un-minimise further minimised windows - so unlike stated in the description for Labview issue 369142, it dosn't happen after 'hours of operation' but immediately on opening the third window (as well as after less than a minute for fewer windows opened

3) steps 1) and 2) can be repeated over and over again

4) I also switched from an Aero based theme to the Windows 7 Basic theme (a non-Aero theme) as suggested in the description for Labview issue 369142, to no effect, i.e. I find the same behaviour as with my standard Aero-based theme

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 25
(968 Views)

I refused to do repairs etc. because I don't believe that was the cause. Now I found the cause on my machine.
I have a Dell XPS13 with a ridiculous resolution of 3200x1800 pixels. My secondary monitor is a Dell 24" 1900x1200 pixels of respectable age on DVI. I have the secondary screen to extend my primary screen to maximize screen surface.
Due to the high resolution on the primary screen, all windows are scaled to normal size. The edit time menus show fine on this screen. Moving a window over to the secondary screen introduces my problem: menu windows do not appear when activated (although still active!). Moving the window back to the primary screen solves the issue again.

Conclusion: the gpu has issues resolving the scaling of windows as they move from a scaling to non-scaling screen. If I set my screen mode to "duplicate", the problem disappears as well. Tomorrow I will do a test with a newer monitor on displayport.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seriously concerned about the Labview subscription model
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 25
(844 Views)

No difference on displayport and new monitor. Smiley Mad 

Solution is not to work on both monitors..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seriously concerned about the Labview subscription model
0 Kudos
Message 23 of 25
(827 Views)

Ugh, that's no solution.

I have another "stupid workaround" suggestion:

Maybe you can change the resoution of the higher-res one to more closely match the lower-res screen?  Did I mention it was stupid?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 24 of 25
(818 Views)

@billko wrote:

Ugh, that's no solution.

I have another "stupid workaround" suggestion:

Maybe you can change the resoution of the higher-res one to more closely match the lower-res screen?  Did I mention it was stupid?

Just to clarify what I meant here:

When I complained that it was "no solution," I was dismayed that that was the only solution we could come up with, and if that was the only way to fix it, NI dropped the ball.

What I meant when I said "another stupid workaround" was that it was stupid to have to resort to something like that in the first place, not that it was a stupid suggestion, and that my suggestion was going to be along the same lines.

When I mentioned "Did I mention it was stupid?" I was referring to MY suggestion, not yours.

I realize now how it could have been taken quite differently than I had intended, and I apologize to whoever it was that I offended.  I am SO SORRY.  The suggestion itself was fine.

I hope you understand and accept my apology.

Best regards,

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 25 of 25
(793 Views)