Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview is it really worth in India?

Labview is it really worth in India?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18
(5,440 Views)

If you're looking at job prospects, it makes sense to have as many skills as you can.  If you already feel you're strong enough in text-based languages, this is another skill to cite on a resume.

I'm not sure why you believe "ease of use" would make someone NOT use something.  It's generally the opposite.  If something isn't easy to use, it's often not as desirable of an option.

You don't sound rude.  You sound uneduacted.  You've described every programming language.  There are bad programmers.  These programmers are bad regardless of their choice of language.  If you believe you can ONLY program like others you've seen, that's your shortcoming more than it is theirs.  You should be able to create your own programs.  That requires a bit of creativity.  If you can't figure out a way to document your code, you're probably in the wrong field.  If you can, you know it's silly to blame the language for the poor choice of programmers.  Either way, it's not a question that makes it sound like you're superior to the programmers you condemn in any way.  You're using their code "in stake" to suggest you should avoid learning the language.  Should I show you some bad examples of c programming so we can disqualify that language for you as well?  Maybe ba java examples?

You're asking a board that is mostly non-Indians to ask the current market in India.  What do you REALLY hope to gain from this?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 18
(5,433 Views)
So, you are saying that none of the Indian companies that have posted on the job openings board are reputed engineering companies? What are you basing this opinion on? Code posted here is often from students and trust me, is no better or worse than student's code from other countries and no better or worse than student's code written in other languages. Of you are asking if LabVIEW is as popular as languages such as Java or .NET, then the answer is no but it is still widely used by engineers and scientists and a very valuable tool to list on your resume.
Message 3 of 18
(5,421 Views)

Looks like the OP edited his message very heavily after getting a couple responses, pretty much deleting all the content.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 18
(5,388 Views)
And completely changing the tone of the question. I guess he didn't want his opinion of Indian companies and programmers made public.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 18
(5,383 Views)

@Dennis_Knutson wrote:
And completely changing the tone of the question. I guess he didn't want his opinion of Indian companies and programmers made public.

Actually, without the rest of the message, there essentially is no question, just poorly constructed set of words.  Only the responses give a clue as to what he was really trying to ask.

Of course, the Google cached page, at least for now, still shows the original message.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18
(5,370 Views)

@rNayak wrote:

Well first of all this is not a technical question! Sorry for that...

I wanted to know if Labview is really well known in India. It seems that there are only a few companies that use this software, so the big question is job prospects.

The thing is I do not see any people from reputed engineering institutions in India working on Labview. (Is it because of it's ease of use or limited applications, I do not know). 

I don't want to sound rude but most of the codes I've seen designed by some guys are really dumb, No proper usage, no documentation just for the sake of getting some kind of output they use it. With that in stake and fewer job oppurtunites is it really worth having Labview as an experince or shift to some other domain?

(Thank you Google cache)

Yes I believe it is really worth learning and using LabVIEW in India. There are many companies internationally that insist on LabVIEW as the programming language used in their projects. If Indian companies wish to support these projects then they will need to have it in their repertoire.

Just because LabVIEW can be used by people who have little programming experience or training doesn't mean it should be side-stepped by professionals.

Yes, it is possible for a hack to get dodgy code running and many hacks do.  Is that a bad thing or a good thing?

The bad practices of amatuers shouldn't detract from the capabilities of a full featured programming language.

Troy - CLD "If a hammer is the only tool you have, everything starts to look like a nail." ~ Maslow/Kaplan - Law of the instrument
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18
(5,325 Views)

Eventhough you have deleted in your original post I can see your question since it was Quoted (Thanks to TroyK).

The thing is I do not see any people from reputed engineering institutions in India working on Labview

I learnt LabVIEW during my gradution and believe me there are Labs specifically for LabVIEW and Instrumentation in many institutions now a days. If you don't see any engineering students working in LabVIEW means they don't have enough exposure. Yes you can see dumb codes without documentation but when you see the result you will certainly appreciate the Engineering result they brought (I myself seen and did). Those code were written by students or engineers from different domain (LabVIEW provides easy learning to everyone) where they are in the learning phase. If you see a LabVIEW professional's code then you will fall in love with LabVIEW(I am not giving a hype, its true).

With that in stake and fewer job oppurtunites is it really worth having Labview as an experince or shift to some other domain?

It really depends on what domain you are in and what you want to be. If you just care about the Salary and Position then you can move on to Management and grow in that way. But if you want to be a good engineer and keep growing technically you can have the domain specfic proramming knowledge skills. Also don't learn anything just because it helps you to survive, do it only if you like it.

This is just my personal opinion.

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
Message 8 of 18
(5,287 Views)

Lets say 100,000 VIs are made in the world in one day (just for example).  Now lets say you are allowed to look at 100 of them.  This means you get to see 0.1% of all VIs made in that day.  Now realistically you weill not get exposed to 0.1% of the LabVIEW code being generated in the world.  But for argument sake, how many of those 100 VIs would you guess are of a quality that you find satisfactory?

What I'm trying to say is there is much more bad code out there, then good code.  So if you see other companies, (in any country) devloping substandard quality software (in any language) it might help you understand that individual companies priorities, but I thinking judging a country as a whole might be a bit too much.  I'd recommend looking up some of the Aliance parterners in India and seeing if you can find some of the code their company produces.  Maybe they have a toolkit, or maybe their users are on these forums.

EDIT:  Full discosure, I don't work in India, or for an Aliance partner.

Message 9 of 18
(5,227 Views)