From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview integration with IAI Robocylinders

Thanks for the quick answer.

I am still researching different options. Is there any chance, that I can also use the IAI robocylinder

with e.g. the C-Series module 9514?

From IAI there is a servo driver called ACON-PL/PO pulse train controller.

I am wondering if this is compatible with what NI calls P-command controller (e.g. the 9514).

If yes I could use the LV Soft-Motion libraries which would be much more comfortable I guess

than using what I had in mind before?

So is the IAI ACON-PL/PO driver compatible with the NI 9514 module? That would be my preferred choice then!

Cheers,

Olaf

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 13
(1,104 Views)

Hi Olaf,

It has been quite a few years since I worked with the Robocylinders.  So things have probably changed in that time.

The NI 9514 module is a servo drive interface.  As I stated above, things may have changed; but the Robocylinders I worked with did not require a servo driver for control.  I'm also unsure how I would have integrated one if that was my desired method of control.  

The control interface I used was a good old PCI 6024E card.  But any digital output card or module would have worked. 

Essentially my control method used a serial connection to set the values of the positions I wanted the cylinder to move to.  This was done as a setup step.  When the tester was running, digital outputs were used to drive the Robocylinder to the preset positions.  Digital inputs monitored when the cylinder was moving and when it had reached it's programmed position. 

It took some time to figure out the serial coms.  Writing my own implementation of a 2's compliment for the first time was a bit of a struggle.  But once I got it working it was reliable.  We were quite impressed at how fast the cylinders could move but still maintain accuracy down to the millimeter. 

Sorry I can't be more help with the servo driver.  I'd suggest trying to contact someone at IAI directly and point them to the NI specs of the hardware you want to use. 

---------------------
Patrick Allen: FunctionalityUnlimited.ca
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 13
(1,100 Views)

Thanks again for the quick answer.

Just in case it is of help to anyone: The robocylinder I intend to use is one of the

RCA serise and as far as I understand it does need a driver to operate it.

IAI offers several options of possible drivers some with control logic (e.g. ASEL)

some more basic.

Since NI/Labview offers the logic with an easy software interface (9514 module + Softmotion)

I thought in combination with a basic driver this would be the best option. If they work with each other!

I have already contacted someone from IAI for help on this.

Olaf

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 13
(1,097 Views)