From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview generated DLL - Labview Runtime engine not loading

Solved!
Go to solution

I have built a Labview DLL (labview 2014 32b) and have tested it on my development PC by writing a CVI (2013) app around it.  I provided it to a customer and instructed them to install the labview 2014 SP1 runtime engine.  I also gave them my CVI app (they installed the CVI RTE).  When they try to launch the app they get an error that the app "requires a version of 2014 (or compatible) LABVIEW Run-Time Engine."  The lvrt.dll is copied to the directory with the app as I had seen suggested in other forums.

The error described above seems to be generated from the LVRTE dll.  It is reported with a "System error 317 while loading LabView Run-Time Engine" 

I have duplicated this issue on a clean PC of my own, installing the CVI RTE and the LABVIEW RTE.  

Does anyone know why the RTE will not load?  Is this a common problem? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(5,221 Views)

I've attached the error

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(5,218 Views)

How old was the forum post you read that said that copying the LVRT DLL would be good enough to include the run time engine?

I ask because while I can't seem to find the link right now, I remember reading that at one point that did work but it later stopped working sometime around when LabVIEW switched from version numbers to yearly editions (i.e. 2009ish).  I think the LVRTE requires support files you only get by doing a full install on the PC, not just a DLL copy.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(5,203 Views)

@bjollies wrote:

I provided it to a customer and instructed them to install the labview 2014 SP1 runtime engine.

You need to be more specific with that statement

1. There is the 32bit version
  2. There is the 64bit version
  3. There is the 32bit browser plugin version
  4. There is the 64bit browser plugin version

Only #1 is correct in this case.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(5,198 Views)

I cannot be sure of what the customer installed.  However, when I setup a new PC (to be sure that I wasn't using the full development engine on my development pc).  I installed the 32b version, as in your option 1.  I Also installed the CVI 2013 runtime, since my app was developed in CVI2013.

I only copied the lvrt.dll from the "C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Shared\LabVIEW Run-Time\2014 directory", once the above mentioned install was done and I verified that it would still not run.  That didn't work either. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(5,186 Views)

Does anyone have any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(5,146 Views)

So did you develop the DLL in LabVIEW 2014 with SP1 or without? 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(5,141 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author bjollies

What happens if you don't copy the lvrt.dll?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(5,131 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author bjollies

I was able to solve this.  I needed to uninstall the version:

http://www.ni.com/download/labview-run-time-engine-2014-sp1/5198/en/

and install version

http://www.ni.com/download/labview-run-time-engine-2014/4887/en/

I also had to remove ANY lvrt.dlls from the project folder where the executable ran.  There is an old forum that suggests this.

What is confusing is that if I run NI MAX in the station I built the DLL it states that it has LV 2014 SP1 f1.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(5,109 Views)