LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview for ipod itouch & iphone !!!

I want to be able to susbscribe to my shared variables over wifi and see the graphs and readouts on my itouch or iphone like we can with PDAs. Why doesn't labview do this? Controling the VI might be complicated.  However, a few preset templates that you would just specify which variable goes to which indicator would be plenty. There are currently over 35,000 apps for the iphone/itouch and no labview. Imagine what we could do with a labview iphone or itouch.

Can this be done? Is it already in the works?

---------------------------------
[will work for kudos]
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 49
(22,980 Views)

HI Rex,

As of now Labview supports only windows based OS for handheld devices.

you could use this on any of PDA`s or smart phones such as Hp which is based on windows.

This link should give a better Idea

http://www.ni.com/labview/mobile

Regards,

Sundar.

Message Edited by SUNDAR.N on 06-05-2009 09:40 PM
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 49
(22,949 Views)
One unfortunate issue with the iPhone is that Apple will not allow applications that can execute interpreted code. The LabVIEW run-time engine is exactly such an application. It can load and execute arbitrary VIs selected at run-time. Apple does not support this type of execution environment, because they want strict control over what runs on their hardware. LabVIEW as a programming language is therefore not very suitable for Apple's cool but locked-down iPhone application environment.
Jarrod S.
National Instruments
Message 3 of 49
(22,909 Views)

If you have LabVIEW 8.6, you can use LabVIEW web services. While you need to write a small client in a standard web language, it can easily access the data in your LabVIEW application.

Here's a flash demo.

Message 4 of 49
(22,908 Views)

Jarrod S. wrote:
One unfortunate issue with the iPhone is that Apple will not allow applications that can execute interpreted code. The LabVIEW run-time engine is exactly such an application. It can load and execute arbitrary VIs selected at run-time. Apple does not support this type of execution environment, because they want strict control over what runs on their hardware. LabVIEW as a programming language is therefore not very suitable for Apple's cool but locked-down iPhone application environment.

Uhm, what, LabVIEW is an interpreted language (:smileysurprised:). I thought that it was a compiled language.....

Ton

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
Message 5 of 49
(22,822 Views)

altenbach wrote:

If you have LabVIEW 8.6, you can use LabVIEW web services. While you need to write a small client in a standard web language, it can easily access the data in your LabVIEW application.

Here's a flash demo.

I think that is how a friend of mine wrote LabVIEW code for the iPhone.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 49
(22,786 Views)
I knew someone would try to point that out. That was not my point and sorry for the confusion. I am well aware LV is not an interpreted language. But the meaning of interpreted code in the Apple standards is looser than just an interpreted language. My point regarded the ability to execute arbitrary VIs at run-time, which looking back, may or may not have much to do with the original post.
Jarrod S.
National Instruments
Message 7 of 49
(22,690 Views)

Jarrod S. wrote:
I knew someone would try to point that out. That was not my point and sorry for the confusion. I am well aware LV is not an interpreted language. But the meaning of interpreted code in the Apple standards is looser than just an interpreted language. My point regarded the ability to execute arbitrary VIs at run-time, which looking back, may or may not have much to do with the original post.

Hi Jarrod,

I am currently listening to the latest Stackoverflow podcast, it discusses Mono on the Iphone and they have written a special compiler to be able to have a 'scripted' language on the iphone. I am not sure if this is possible for LabVIEW, but the details are in the first 15 minutes of the podcast.

Hope this helps you.

Ton

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
Message 8 of 49
(22,363 Views)
The easiest way is to use the VIremote app found on app store. It lets you control a VI over WLAN. See http://throwlab.com/
Message 9 of 49
(21,226 Views)

As altenbach said.  WebServices is the way to go.  You can make some pretty slick looking iPhone Web Apps with LabVIEW Web Services and some PHP programming.  There is even iPhone specific web API you can use for menus and stuff.

Controls/Instruments <--> DAQ Hardware <--> Computer <--> LabVIEW Web Services <--> Apache Web Server w/ PHP <--> iPhone

Message 10 of 49
(21,198 Views)