LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview executable only works for about ten seconds before shutting down

Hi,

I'm not a newbie to LabVIEW but I am a newbie to creating executables and installers using LV. On my first attempts I'm having a strange problem that I cannot resolve. I already began discussing this problem on another thread, but I was advised to start a new one.

I've made a variety of VI's but for debugging purposes I made the simplest VI possible: just some plain text on the front panel, no code on the block diagram.
I created a project with just that VI, compiled an executable, compiled an installer, and sent the installation files to my colleague. I use a Win XP machine and so does he. He does not have LV installed.

The installation goes fine, the VI starts up, appears to run fine and then spontaneously quits (i.e. the window closes and disappears) after twelve seconds with no error message.This happens even if I create a VI with a loop. The VI executable, installed via the installer on my WinXP PC (which has the full LV application) does not replicate this problem. It occurs only on a WinXP machine where LV is not installed.

version info: LabVIEW 2010

My debugging ideas going forward are:
- try to play with the "Source File Settings --> Use default save settings" checkboxes, as suggested by another user in another thread.
- ask another colleague with WinXP and no LV to test the VI's, to see if the problem is somehow linked with my first colleague's machine.

- to check the Windows Event Log (following the advice of user Norbert on this forum), but I'm not sure if I'll be able to decipher what I read in there. A first look has turned up nothing interesting.
- am pretty stuck for ideas after that.

Thanking you in advance for any input you can give,

Garrett

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,258 Views)

Attach your VI so we can see what you are doing.

Does the machine where your .exe does not work have the LV run-time engine installed?  Although I believe you would see an error message if the .exe failed because of this.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,256 Views)

Issue solved: the anti-virus was forcing the application to shutdown.

Bit of a newbie problem Smiley Embarassed

I discovered the problem when I tried the executable on another colleague's PC. When the exe was launched, the anti-virus software (Avast!) showed a pop-up that said it was verifying the unknown program and then after about 12 seconds it shut it down. It then proposed to open the program in either the "sandbox" or "as normal" the next time. By choosing "normal" the VI worked fine the next time.

It turns out that on my first colleague's PC, he also had Avast! software, except that on his PC it was running in some sort of hidden background mode. This meant that it didn't display any pop-up messages to indicate that it was interfering with the VI. Once we manually launched the Avast! interface, it finally proposed the option of opening the VI in the sandbox or normally.

All works fine now. I hope this helps other newbies out there. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,247 Views)

Make sure to report this to avast so they can update their signatures for the next update.

If you upload your executable to virustotal, how many false positives do you get?

Message 4 of 6
(2,242 Views)

I get no false positives with Virustotal.

I'm not sure what you mean about reporting this to Avast! My VI exe is a small internal project. Unless you mean reporting about the sandboxing of LV 2010 exe's in general?

Thanks for the advice. I was unaware of Virustotal before you linked to it.

Message 5 of 6
(2,235 Views)

@GarrettC wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I was unaware of Virustotal before you linked to it.

Its amazing what you can learn on the ForumsSmiley Very Happy

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,228 Views)