cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview disconnects my EBB card

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I've been using a polarization controller which is only in fact a step motor. I control this step motor via a standard EiBotBoard. I've been able to control it with Labview through NI-VISA and it works. I've also created a loop including the initialization processes and some other commands to obtain a specific set of variables in term of polarization. I execute my loop once and everything is alright but when I try to do it for the second time, it fails to complete mid-step. At that time, it seems that labview is losing communication with my EiBotBoard and it seems that the problem is coming from Labview since every other program I use with my board works great. What bothers me here is that when I close Labview, the board immidiately restarts and works fine.

Just as additionnal information, my loop contains three Instrument I/O assistants on which I ask to excute a single command 2500 times. If somebody wishes to see it, I can upload a picture of my block diagram.

I hope somebody can help me find a way to solve my problem,

Regards,

Marc-Daniel Gagnon

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,342 Views)

Is there a reason you cannot upload the VI itself?

I always say that a picture is worth a thousand words, but a VI is worth a thousand pictures!  🙂

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,323 Views)
The I/O Assistant is a very inefficient method. You need to attach the actual VI or an image of the assistant configuration since all the code is hidden. What sort of physical connection do you have?
Message 3 of 5
(2,310 Views)
Solution
Accepted by marcdg

Here is a view of my current VI. It is very simplistic and it is basically a test to see if we were to be able to generate a complete scan of movement from a step motor. I'm open to suggestion to make it better if ever you have some. My motor is connected by USB but I had to install some .INF files since the board has to be controlled by port COM so basically my USB input simulates COM port commands.

The command I send to the Instrument assistant is just a sequence of "Write" on the device with EBB commands that the guy who sold me the motor has integrated of the board. In other words, it just finds the COM4 and then writes a bunch of precise commands.

As I said in my first post, it works real great the first time I execute and the seconde time it always fails to keep the connection until the movements are done.

Appreciating the fast reponses,

Marc-Daniel Gagnon

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,284 Views)
I can only assume you did not read the responses you got. It is impossible to see what you are doing since all of the code is hidden.

I would suggest getting rid of the assistants.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,266 Views)