LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview and Kepware setup questions

Hi Folks,

This is my 1st post requesting some guidance.  My question relates to Labview and Kepware.

We have a Labview program application designed for our instrument and this works as intended on a singal PC.

We next need to have our instrument pass data from Labview to Kepwares (KepServerEX) using OPC.

I'm currently investigating the options to make this happen. The following is what I feel are my options:

It appears there are a couple of Labview/Kepware connection architectures that could be used:

Option a) Obtain data from instrument using KepServerEX and seperate data into required  groups and tags, then pass or access this data through Labview.

Option b) Using an existing Labview application and pass or access this data through the KepServerEX and an OPC client.

Since we already have a working Labview application and product, option (b) is preferred.

Consequently, our final aim is to have the ability to have OPC data which can be accessed by Kepware or any other OPC server/client for future installations.

Question (1): Can we use Labview 2013 to pass data to the KepServerEX V5 using OPC connectivity, but not have to add another module to Labview. (not sure if this is possible but would be least cost)?

Question (2): Enable OPC communication between Labview and KepServerEx, but I would need to add the DSC module to the Labview Suite?

Question (3) If option (b) is possible, can you provide any direction on exactly how this is done?

Many thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,678 Views)

Jim,

If you already have a working application and just need to read/write a few tags I would look into DataSockets

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/3224/en/

Take a look at the example "Monitor OPC Items with DataSocket.vi" Under Industry Applications > Process Control.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,661 Views)

Hi Matt,

In terms of using datasockets, for my application I'm a bit worried to what extent data through put might be choked.

I may have up to 1000 tags and the raw data from the instrument gets output every 2 seconds.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Jim

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,650 Views)