LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview Project

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a labview project with a source file and many dependencies and would like to collect all the physical files for use on another machine.  Is this Source Distribution ?  Please give me brief description how to proceed.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,114 Views)

Creating a source distribution would be the easiest way.  They can be built in the Build Specifications.  You probably want to just use the Zip option.

But even better would be to use a Software Source Control system.  Something like Tortiose SVN is very easy to use.  Just create the repository where all of your computers can access it.  You then do a commit to save your current files.  On another system, you just to and update, and both systems are up to date.  And the repository keeps a history, so you can go back to a previous commit in case you totally broke something along the way.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(3,090 Views)

Lets start with source distribution.  Did not work, don't get it yet. 

Shows an error with vi when I drag proj to other machine.  If I try to run vi it starts searching for files.  Suggestions appreciated.  Is there a NI document or procedure for this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,077 Views)

I would recommend the zip file over the source distribution.  And when in doubt, hit the help button.  NI tries really hard to make those meaningful.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(3,071 Views)

How have you configured the Source Distribution?

You need to give a little more details on what you are doing, to be able to help you.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(3,036 Views)

@ggress1 wrote:

Lets start with source distribution.  Did not work, don't get it yet. 

Shows an error with vi when I drag proj to other machine.  If I try to run vi it starts searching for files.  Suggestions appreciated.  Is there a NI document or procedure for this?

Thanks

Aeh, wow... configuring a source distribution and then copy and paste the lvproj file to the other machine is not the way to go.

You have to execute the build script and then copy the complete result to the other machine!

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
Message 6 of 12
(3,025 Views)

ggress1,

At the bottom of this white paper (http://www.ni.com/white-paper/3303/en/#toc7) you will find instructions on how to create a source distribution as well as a zip file.

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(3,000 Views)

Thanks guys !!  I believe source distribution problem is resolved.  It was operator (me) error all the way, something to do with hitting the build button !  Have another problem with the target machine.  If you can make a suggestion it would be appreciated.

Target machine originally had LV 2011 / cfp hardware and several VIs.  All of the existing VIs on target machine use FieldPoint Express I/O function.  Now we will remotely develop programs using LV2013 to be used on target.  I have installed LV2013 on target machine; target machine has both LV2011 and LV2013.  The goal is to get all programs on target machine running under LV2013.

When I run LV2013 on target machine niether the FieldPoint I/O functions or the Fieldpoint Express I/O function are available.  MAX shows FieldPoint 6.1 installed.

How can I get FieldPoint express I/O and FieldPoint I/O commands to show on measurement I/O menu ?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(2,966 Views)

2 points:

1. Have you installed the Fieldpoint drivers/modules after you installed LabVIEW 2013?
Every time you install LabVIEW, you need to install the modules that it should use after, so that each module gets registreted in that LabVIEW version.

2. You shouldn't be installing the full developer system on a target mashine.
Normal you would build an exe file to run on the target. And exe file would only need the Run Time Engine, a small installation, and the drivers.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(2,942 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ggress1

@dkfire wrote:

2 points:

1. Have you installed the Fieldpoint drivers/modules after you installed LabVIEW 2013?
Every time you install LabVIEW, you need to install the modules that it should use after, so that each module gets registreted in that LabVIEW version.

2. You shouldn't be installing the full developer system on a target mashine.
Normal you would build an exe file to run on the target. And exe file would only need the Run Time Engine, a small installation, and the drivers.

Maybe, but to play devil's advocate here, I've worked for a very well known aerospace company who actually deployed fully licensed developer environments for each of their production test machines for quite a few different products.  Besides being ultra-expensive, the only downside would be that the techs might screw things up, but they never did - and anyways, all the software was crc checked and the software wouldn't run if the crc check didn't match.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(2,933 Views)