From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview FPGA Xilinx Tool Claims its License is expired.

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi TomC_NGC,

As the problem does not arise with the other PC, I would agree with Donovan of the possibility of a license file being corrupt. In that case I would like you to go to C:\Program Files\NI\Shared\License Manager\Licenses where one of the two possibilities below may arise:

1. The license files with FPGA in any part of their name may be absent.

2. They may be present but look corrupt when you open them up and have a look at them

Depending on which case it is, you might need to replace the license files or actually put them in your folder. 

Ipshita C.

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 22
(2,533 Views)

I don't think that is the problem. I was unclear - the problem does exist on both of my PCs.

As for the license file, I see the following file:

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\Shared\License Manager\Licenses\LabVIEW_FPGA_PKG_080600.lic

The contents of which are below. I X'ed out all the numbers in case they are sensitive information:

SERVER THIS_HOST ANY 27000
VENDOR nilm
PACKAGE LabVIEW_FPGA_PKG nilm 8.0600 COMPONENTS=LabVIEW_FPGA SIGN=XXXXXXXXXXXX
INCREMENT LabVIEW_FPGA_PKG nilm 8.0600 permanent uncounted HOSTID="DISK_SERIAL_NUM=XXXXXXXX" vendor_info="TYPE=Module LABEL=FPGA Module URL=http://digital.ni.com/express.nsf/bycode/rdlv25" TS_OK SIGN=XXXXXXXXXXXX

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 22
(2,517 Views)
Note: on one of my PCs, I completely uninstalled then reinstalled all NI software. I can now compile. I set my calendar ahead 40 days, and can still compile. I don't know what went wrong with my previous installation. I got to the point where it was easier just to re-install.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 22
(2,502 Views)
I have the same problem.... sounds like a confirmed bug to me.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 22
(2,372 Views)

Reinstalled and now compiling OK. For now....

Of course if you read the fine deatils in the compiler window, it has been telling me this since October  (and still is telling me even after the reinstall):

"days, this program will not operate. For more information about this productplease refer to the Evaluation Agreement, which was shipped to you along with the evaluation CDs."  Why does it start with an incomplete sentence? Where is the rest of the text that tells me exactly how many days I have left?  Does my computer somehow know I never got evaluation CD's and I CAN'T refer to my Agreement?  Is NI not paying their license fees to Xilinx???  Why is the sky blue?

Does this mean that I will have to reinstall the FPGA package every quarter?  Is this a clever way of insuring I use those DVDs I get every 3 monthsSmiley Happy??

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 22
(2,366 Views)

Hello dbtestcon,

I'm glad to read that it is compiling OK now.  I get no such warning in my compile log because I have the FPGA module activated.  We are still unable to reproduce this issue in house.

Are you using the Evaluation version or have you activated your LabVIEW FPGA Module?

Are you running the compile server on the same machine as LabVIEW or on a separate, dedicated compile server?

If two computers, is the second's software activated? (KB 4MIAH73S: Licensing for LabVIEW FPGA Module Frequenty Asked Questions)

To answer some of your questions...

Why does it start with an incomplete sentence?

Where is the rest of the text that tells me exactly how many days I have left?

I do not have an explanation for this and I can not reproduce it.  If you activate the program, the countdown should not be there any longer.

Does my computer somehow know I never got evaluation CD's and I CAN'T refer to my Agreement?

No.  Essentially, all NI products are installed as evaluation versions and remain as such until they are activated.  The activation can happen before or after the 30-day evaluation period with no difference in functionality of the activated product.  The Agreement will be in the package that was downloaded from ni.com and can be viewed during the installation.

Is NI not paying their license fees to Xilinx???

While I have not seen the receipt, I think it is safe to say that we are in sound financial standing with Xilinx.

Why is the sky blue?

If only Lord John Rayleigh was still alive, he could explain it better.  However, it is basically because blue light has a shorter wavelength than those of the reds and oranges that you do not see.  These shorter wavelengths are absorbed and scattered by the gas molecules in the atmosphere, reflecting blue light everywhere above you.

Does this mean that I will have to reinstall the FPGA package every quarter?

No.  Once you activate NI software, there is no reinstall that is required  Only for upgrades and if your files become corrupted.
Message 16 of 22
(2,339 Views)

Great answers....  esp the blue sky Smiley Happy  Thanks for seeing the humor in this as well.

When I get back to the customer and can cut and paste, I'll get you a copy of the compile log.   Their FPGA module is fully installed and activated (checked the NI license manager) but it's the Xilinx that is out of service (or time), not NI.

The compile server in on the same machine.

Well, at least it's happy and running now. 

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 22
(2,326 Views)

Ok.  This is just getting stupid.

I can't compile again (and yes, my customer is pissed and is thinking about scrapping $250,000 in NI hardware becasue they see issues like this).

Can you all fix this so I don't have to reinstall LabView on their computer every month?

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 22
(2,220 Views)
Update: We have had this same issue on multiple PCs here. A complete uninstall/reinstall does the trick... for 30 days.
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 22
(2,214 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author TomC_NGC
This was reported to R&D (# 154754) for further investigation.  This occurs when the compile server has not been launched from an administrator account on the computer.  See this KnowledgeBase article for more information.  To ensure that you do not have to reinstall every 30 days, launch the FPGA compile server from an administrator account, which should activate the Xilinx license.
Donovan
Message 20 of 22
(2,204 Views)