LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview Executable tries to download pdf from www.ni.com

It might be a good time to exploit the advantages of building an installer to make sure it is always installed the same way and with the same options...

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 21
(1,757 Views)
Once you've downloaded it does it look for it again?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 21
(1,720 Views)

If it doesn't look for it again, does that file exist on the other computers that aren't asking for it?

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 21
(1,708 Views)

Yes,,, over and over agian... this is driving me crazy. The machine was a brand new computer, freshly installed!!

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 21
(1,652 Views)

keeps looking for it... and no, the other computers don't have this file...Smiley Frustrated\

Spoiler

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 21
(1,651 Views)

Additional detail...

The attached screenshot shows that in the task bar the before-mentioned malignous windows appear with the same program name as the main program (AFICS)

---

Fabio

Untitled.png

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 21
(1,645 Views)

@FSFirenze wrote:

Additional detail...

The attached screenshot shows that in the task bar the before-mentioned malignous windows appear with the same program name as the main program (AFICS)

---

Fabio

Untitled.png

Calling it malignous is definitely overreacting, sorry! I have something similar on one of my machines. Every time I startup any 32 Bit NI application I get a dialog that the Runtime Engine for LabVIEW 8 needs to be installed. I can cancel that and everything continues as normal or I can wait until I get a final dialog that the computer needs to be restarted. If I chose yes the computer restarts and does the same next time again. If I chose no, I can continue to work with the program.

Annoying? yes you bet! Malignous? definitely not!

This whole mess started after I had decided to install some LabVIEW toolkit for an earlier version of LabVIEW than the latest that was also installed on that computer. And that installation somehow got hosed. It has to be mentioned that there are just about every LabVIEW version installed on that computer since 7.1 and many toolkits, CVI versions, and what else. So it is actually amazing thata all those software versions still can coexist together and this problem while annoying is defintely caused by a combination of installations that NI doesn't and couldn't even test.

Now your problem is obviously not exactly the same, but the symptoms are similar enough. Something in the Windows registry got hosed during install of your application or something that gets installed together with it. What it could be I unfortunately can't tell  you. I did some registry hunting but Windows Installer technology is a 10 headed monster with 11 tails and 12 claws. I doubt there is anyone on this planet who still fully understands all the relationships, conditions and trapfalls that are present in it.

My recommendation for you, your health and the feelings of the people around you: Wipe that harddisk and do a reinstall! It's radical and takes a bit of time but it will save you from ulcers and other nastyness. Smiley Wink

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 17 of 21
(1,622 Views)

Update ... 5 years later and several developments into the software, I have installed it on a few more machines with no issues till .... today the issue repeats exactly as described above on a fresh computer just purchased.

The installation has used the same runtime engine, drivers, support files that I've always used, but on this specific machine it shows the message. not to mention that the exact same software on another machine doesn't show the message ....

I hope some expert has 10 minutes to relook at this thread and provide recommendations!

Thansk

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 21
(935 Views)

I want to cry ... I just found the solution .... 5-6 yrs later ...

I just needed to install Acrobat Reader ...

Not sure about the connection here, but once installed the message disappeared.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 21
(891 Views)

It could be a toolkit you use in your executable, that comes with its help documentation provided in PDF form. VIs can contain links to them and while this information is usually scraped from the VI code when building an executable, that is not true for VIs that are set to maintain their front panel (because they are meant to display they front panel at some point). Or something in your buid installer that tries to open a PDF file.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 21
(836 Views)