From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview 8.6 fatal crash when clicking broken run arrow to list errors.

Hi,

I have recently upgraded to Labview 8.6 from 8.51 and shortly afterwords I noticed a problem with listing errors in my program. The program is rather large ~3mb. When i load the program there are no errors to begin with but if i do something to create one (e.g. place a while loop with nothing connected to the stop) and then click the broken run arrow Labview crashes completely. Same thing occurs if i go to view - error list or hit ctrl-L. 

To narrow down where this bug occurs i placed disable loops on portions of the code and eventually found if i disabled the main case structure (~80 cases) the crash stopped occuring. So i went through each case and disabled the contents but to no avail. The crash occured every time. I tried cutting out the entire case structure, pasting it in a new VI and copying it back to the original. Initially this worked and I had an error list. I fixed all the errors with duplicated ctrls, unlinked property nodes, etc that came from copy/pasting the case structure. The broken run arrow went back to normal. I saved. I opened the VI placed a while loop without the stop terminal connected and clicked the broken arrow. Labview crashed! Note this occurs regardless of what error i generate, it's not specfic to the while loop. Is there any information on how to fix this bug? This is affecting every separate backup i have saved over the past 6 months.Thanks for any help.

The exact error is: LabVIEW 8.6 Development System has encountered a problem and needs to close etc. i have the error report as well but it is too long to include here. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 33
(6,659 Views)

Hi mattvx,

try to only copy it your code into a new vi and use this vi instead of the old one.

Hope it helps.

Mike

Message 2 of 33
(6,652 Views)

Thanks for the reply.

If I copy the entire contents of the VI to a blank VI the error list works until i save the unamed VI. After saving when i open it again i have the same problem.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 33
(6,636 Views)
Also, i found that even if i save for 8.5.1 compatibility and open the VI with 8.5.1 it still crashes the same way.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 33
(6,631 Views)

You should definitely send your code to NI directly so they can reproduce and (hopefully) fix it. So far you posted in the discussion forum.

Does the program run OK if you don't create an error?

Message 5 of 33
(6,618 Views)
Thanks i'll do that. Yes it runs fine without errors. It's just an inconvenience for further development assuming it doesn't get worse.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 33
(6,615 Views)
Another odd thing: sometimes i can get the error list to show up without crashing if i use view error list or ctrl L rather than clicking the broken run arrow.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 33
(6,594 Views)

This was reported to R&D (# 123406) for further investigation. 

A possible workaround is to use your VI in 8.5.1 without saving it in LabVIEW 8.6.

Warm regards,
Karunya R
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
Message 8 of 33
(6,561 Views)

i have the same problem. My vi is 1.4 MB, upgraded to 8.6 from 8.5. I have used the broken arrow to debug problems since upgrading to 8.6. Then out of the blue i clicked the broken arrow, and it crashes labview. i've tried saving the vi back to 8.5, same problem. i am at a stand still as i cannot find the error and cannot run my program, which is test software for production parts.

VERY BIG DEAL. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 33
(6,405 Views)

Hi daveu,

you have a few options to work around this problem. i opted to go back to a previous backup that was saved in 8.51 and uninstalled 8.6. You can also save your current version in 8.5 (File - save for previous version) then uninstall 8.6. This is a bit riskier. Finally, NI has sent a temporary work around. It's basically a control that you place on the front panel while you're editing the application. Then you remove it when you save before building. The error, from what i understand, is caused by a memory allocation issue. When u bring up the error list it writes outside the memory assigned to Labview by windows, crashing the program. I'm guessing adding the control causes windows to give up a bit more memory to Labview so it doesn't crash when u try to view errors. Let me know if you go this route and i can send you the control or ask NI for it....or make it (it's basically 1,024 numeric controls in a cluster)

Message 10 of 33
(6,396 Views)