cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview 8.6 - Cannot save or modify vi. - error - crash

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello

Over the past few months I have been continually using Labview to perform some data acquisition and relevant signal processing. 

Today though, I cannot achieve anything due to a series of errors. 

When I open up my latest vi (Attached), it runs fine - if I try to modify it at all and then run it- the program crashes and closes.

If I first try to save it after modification before running - I get a popup message with 'Save Error Code 5: BD Heap'

I have read the one message in the discussion forums regarding this - and tried to progress with any relevant information, but to no avail.

I have tried copying it all over to a new vi, but no joy either.

I have also attached the latest error log - in a bid to try and figure out what is going wrong.

Thank you in advance

Skyman 

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,809 Views)

Sometimes what helps (believe it or not) is to save the VI for a previous version and then opening that. Try that.

Of course, I'm not going to stop there. Smiley Wink Your program can be improved:

• You perform the same exact operation (filtering and finding a mean) multiple times, but you do this by duplicating code. Use a for-loop. Less space, less code.
  • It's not clear what the values in the shift register are supposed to be. A better solution is to use a cluster so that you can label the invidual elements. Self-documenting.
  • There is absolutely no reason to use MathScript to perform a simple Boolean operation that can be handle with either a case structure or the Select function. Less overhead, less libraries to load, faster code.
  • You should clean up your block diagram. You have wires going under structures and wires flowing right-to-left. While the latter is not a no-no, it's usually better visually to try to keep a left-to-right flow if possible. Again, that's not an absolute must. 
  • You have generic names for your controls. What's "Numeric 3", or "Boolean 4"? Use real names for controls.

If you still have issues please don't hesitate to post back.
Message 2 of 9
(3,792 Views)

Thanks  smercurio_fc 

Yes the code is not the best orgainsed in the world and I have taken steps to do everthing you pointed out and implent that.

However I have been trying to get it to run all weekend - Saving for a previous version does not solve the problem - on all older versions Labview closes instanly on clicking on run.

I am pulling my hair out - it was excellent for months now nothing seems to be working.

Skyman 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,749 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Skyman
I was able to open in 8.6, modify it, and save it, with no crashes. I've attached a resaved version for you (with the MathScript nodes eliminated). See if this can be edited without crashes. You will have a far easier time dealing with this VI if you clean up the code and consolidate much of the functionality as I had described.
Message 4 of 9
(3,735 Views)

Skyman, this seems to be a very rare issue. Please have a look at the following forum, as it addresses the same bloack diagram heap error you've recieved. I cannot find "feedback nodes" in your code, I could see many shift registers, which behave simularly.

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=367703&requireLogin=False

I am able to work through the example described in the linked post, and I consistantly get the same issue. I will raise this our the national Instruments R&D department, and see if they agree it is a bug. Which version of LabVIEW are you running please?

Rich Roberts
Senior Marketing Engineer, National Instruments
Connect on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/richard-roberts-4176a27b/
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,712 Views)

Thanks to you both

As you will hopefully see on th thread the program attched by smercurio_fc seems to be working fine now (Touch wood) - must be a problem with the mathscript node.

I am running Labview 8.6 - it seems to affect all my programs with mathscript nodes - now that I work through them - Would a reinstall be the best idea?

Skyman 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,697 Views)

Skyman wrote:

I am running Labview 8.6 - it seems to affect all my programs with mathscript nodes - now that I work through them - Would a reinstall be the best idea?

This is highly suspicious. You've seen this occur on other VIs as well? I would suspect a corrupted library somewhere and would say a repair/reinstall is probably a good idea. It would probably be a good idea to run a check on the hard drive as well. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,689 Views)
I have a problem when opening the vi of transmitter.vi in labview dsp module 8 ,target of TMS320C6713 ,then error is occure code37,reinstall the labview full development system include all toolkits.
but I have a already install full development system with labview dsp module.
Please support me!!
Email: rajendrapatil3009@gmail.com
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,882 Views)

Hi pandarya,

and why do you hijack an old thread? Why don't you create your own thread?

How is your question realted to that old thread?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,863 Views)